Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Want to get my terminology correct

Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
JonClayton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Want to get my terminology correct

I have been doing "malt extract" kits for my past few brews. However it seems if I talk to a brewer about doing an extract kit they assume I am referring to a no boil, pre hopped, coopers LME type kit.

The kits i have been using come from morebeer.com. They include grains that I steep for 30 mins before doing a full 1 hour boil that includes at-least one addition of hops.

Is there a word for this type of kit? "advanced malt kit" or something?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Extract with steeping grains is what those are usually called.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

"Extract with grains" is the usual terminology. The word "steeping" is implied.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
JonClayton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gotcha, thanks!

As a general rule these taste better than the non grain malt kits correct?

One other question.. The very first brew we made was a "true brew" kit that did not have grains. It was a "nut brown ale" and we loved it. Is anyone familiar enough with this kit to recommend a extract with grain kit that would be very similar?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonClayton View Post
Gotcha, thanks!

One other question.. The very first brew we made was a "true brew" kit that did not have grains. It was a "nut brown ale" and we loved it. Is anyone familiar enough with this kit to recommend a extract with grain kit that would be very similar?
That's a loaded question, much like the "What is better AG or Extract?" threads. For one thing, taste is subjective, secondly and most importantly the skill of the brewer is what makes a better tasting beer. If one does not have their process down, especially their sanitation regimen, then that is going to be a big bearing on the finished product, as is tome in fermenter, using a hydrometer, doing full boils, temp control, late extract addition, bottle conditioing, stuff like that.

A guy making a coopers kit who does a lot of the afore mentioned things correctly is ultimately going to have a better finished beer, than is the guy who brews another type of kit, or even AG for that matter, who schluffs off sanitization, leaves the beer in the fermenter for a week without bothering to take a grav reading, doesn't control their temps during fermentation, and starts drinking the beer after a week in the keg...

I say it over and over, it's not the method (or type of brewing) but the brewer who makes great beer.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonClayton View Post
Gotcha, thanks!

That was my first kit too, and I thought it did have some steeping grains.

All of the big online suppliers (Austin Homebrew, Northern Brew, etc.) have Nut Brown kits.