Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2 packs of Nottinghams...... kinda scary

Old 01-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Conehead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I agree with everything permo says about Notty. The fermenting at 57-61 does work, but my beer turned out too bland. I am going to give it another try, except this time use more specialty malts. I made a light ale with only 2.4% 70L crystal and it still tasted bland. If I use more crystal, munich, or even vienna it hopefully won't taste so bland. On the other hand, maybe I should just ferment at 67F. Anyone experience blandness with low temps?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
permo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
I agree with everything permo says about Notty. The fermenting at 57-61 does work, but my beer turned out too bland. I am going to give it another try, except this time use more specialty malts. I made a light ale with only 2.4% 70L crystal and it still tasted bland. If I use more crystal, munich, or even vienna it hopefully won't taste so bland. On the other hand, maybe I should just ferment at 67F. Anyone experience blandness with low temps?
The yeast pretty much leaves nothing except for a vague tartness when fermented cool. Fermented in the 65-68 degree range I believe to be the sweet spot for most ales using nottingham.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have to stay that I like Notty as well. I have brewed just 3 batches so far with it, but they have all been a success. I am certainly going to continue using it.

As for the blow off I would stay just get some FermCap-S or Five Star defoamer. For the 20 cent or so you'll spend on it per batch it is worth it. No reason to have to clean anything off.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
The yeast pretty much leaves nothing except for a vague tartness when fermented cool. Fermented in the 65-68 degree range I believe to be the sweet spot for most ales using nottingham.
I agree. I have had really good success fermenting with Notty at 65-66. I think this is the sweet spot.