Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager temp management

Old 01-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
andreiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager temp management

I'm about to brew my first lager tomorrow, so wanted to clarify one thing that I see mentioned a lot. Basically, quite a few sources say they chill the wort to 45F, then pitch the yeast and let it free-rise to 50F, then after 5 days or so raise the temp 2F per day until 60. What's not clear to me is what "free-rise" means. Does this happen in the fridge or outside it, i.e. after you pitch the yeast, do you just leave the wort at room temp until it rises to 50F and then put it back to the fridge set at your fermentation temp?

Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
kypher
Recipes 

When you see the term "free-rise" it basically just means don't add heat. When I do lagers, I do it just exactly that way. I'll pitch around 45, and let it sit in the fridge, or in a pinch, outside in chilly weather until it gets to 50. I don't do that warm up to 60 step, I generally just lager for a couple months before kegging.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
andreiz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypher View Post
When you see the term "free-rise" it basically just means don't add heat. When I do lagers, I do it just exactly that way. I'll pitch around 45, and let it sit in the fridge, or in a pinch, outside in chilly weather until it gets to 50. I don't do that warm up to 60 step, I generally just lager for a couple months before kegging.
If you let it sit in a fridge and free-rise, is your fridge set at the desired target fermentation temp then?