Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Weird Foaming Problem

Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Joeywhat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Weird Foaming Problem

Weird problem just cropping up on one of my kegs. I recently tapped a blonde ale that I naturally carbed in the keg. Let it sit for almost 3 weeks, put it on roughly 7 psi to serve and everythings been great - until today.

I pulled a couple pints earlier and it poured fine, decent head no excessive foaming. But the last few have had TONS of foam. I didn't change anything, absolutely nothing has been touched or changed short of the amount of beer in the keg (still almost full).

I'm running a 5' picnic tap, and have had zero problem with the last keg and the first part of the current keg. I typically keep the pressure right between 5-7 psi for serving. I've already tried bleeding the pressure out of the keg and reapplying pressure but to no avail.

So what's up here?

Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Joeywhat
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I just opened up the keg to see what was going on and I noticed the temp inside the keg was COLD. My breath was freezing just above the main opening.

Would being so cold cause this? I've got my controller set at 42* which puts it down to 38* at the coldest. I don't know why my keg would be so cold while the freezer itself isn't that bad (moisture inside isn't even freezing).

Old 01-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Joeywhat
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

On my own, eh?

Oh well...found the problem. The dip tube had a hole in it. Can't see it, but dunking it in some water showed me right where it was. It was high up on the tube, but low enough that I had to pull a few pints before it was no longer submersed in beer.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
DrDirt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did you check the dip tube? There may be a small hole in it about half way up causing it to pull in co2 from the head space. *smart a$$ grin*
seriously, none of us would have figured that out, glad you got it fixed.