Mashing with flour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I am supposed to do a mash tomorrow with about 2 lbs. of flour (along with several malts). Do I need rice hulls for this? Maybe I could put the flour in a strainer bag?

I am supposed to do a mash tomorrow with about 2 lbs. of flour (along with several malts). Do I need rice hulls for this? Maybe I could put the flour in a strainer bag?

i will bring the sryup and strawberries for your pancakes!
:mug:

Never done anything using flour, but I would have to assume that rice hulls would be needed. I would think even with them, a stuck mash would be possible.
I am sure someone on HBT has experience with this.

I've never done it, but I'm guessing flour will not self-convert. Are you throwing some malt in there with solid enzymatic powers (6-row or 2-row)? Depending on your mash thickness, it'll probably be pretty difficult to lauter if it is too pasty. I'd go thin and throw in some rice hulls for insurance. I'd also choose a low protein flour (like cake flour)...definitely don't use self-rising flour.

flour huh? what is this russian drink you speak of?

It's called kvas. Back there, they literally threw stale rye bread into a pot and used that as one of the main sources for sugars. The recipe I have calls for some 6 row, some rye malt, and some rye flour. Then some mint and lemon, and a few raisins in each bottle.

I would use a cup or two of rice hulls. Rye malt is sticky stuff, so is flour. I hate to think what rye flour would be like. Stale bread has some structure to it, even when wet.

I used flour for my hefe. It was a real pain! Target OG was too high ( planned for 1.050, I got 1.060) It seems that you should not replace wheat with flour 1 to 1. My calculation is replace around 70% of your wheat with flour then the remaining should be rice hulls. Got stuck with lautering , maybe there was too little rice hulls that i used. I also lost 6 liters of beer in trub.

But it tastes really good!

I would say if you are using flour to avoid stirring too much (in the mash tun) because that is going to help create gluten which will make it stickier.

Won't all that flour absorb a lot of the water? Once it does I don't see you getting it back out.

Maybe it will make a nice bread though....

It's called kvas. Back there, they literally threw stale rye bread into a pot and used that as one of the main sources for sugars. The recipe I have calls for some 6 row, some rye malt, and some rye flour. Then some mint and lemon, and a few raisins in each bottle.

Do tell us how it turns out :)

And if that does not workout do not get discouraged, I would have attempted to use rye, but not in a flower, maybe flaked... I have no idea how it going to get filtered to make sure flower does not get into the bottle.

Usually once regular table bread became to dry like after 2-3 days it was saved and once enough was saved it was sun dried, then thrown into water and the natural yeast that accumulated on the bread while it was dried went to work, and then after fermentation it was flavored to taste, some used honey and raisins, others spices... But it was not really an alcoholic beverage...

I read somewhere that once Russian President decided to classify beer as an alcoholic beverage there was a huge violent protest and that's pretty much how Communism really ended in Russia ! (so beer is considered a none-alcoholic beverage)

Using flour with BIAB seems perfect!

I would add in two pounds per batch, with at least 70% 2 row.

Or it's just crazy to do this as it only saves pennies on the dollar. Any advantage other than its 'cheap'?

heywolfie1015 said:

I have a Russian wife and family over there. Although I personally LOVE the stuff most of my American friends don't care for it. I have never seen anyone add flower. We usually get old stale bread. They add bread yeast too. I don't add mint, but dried sour cherries are awesome!

Back