the hand crush pain - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > the hand crush pain
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 01-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #1

I've seen some other people on here saying the same thing, but just gotta say, there is some pleasure in hand crushing grain. By which I mean using a mill without a drill. I crushed 21 pounds of grain earlier this way for the RIS to be brewed tomorrow. It's some sort of perverse workout pleasure but I dig it.

Looking forward to brewing this puppy tomorrow. Named the beer after Caligula, who died on January 24th, 41 AD. Hopefully the beer makes people mischievous. If you can, screw someone tomorrow in his honor, willya?

;-)

All you guys brewing tomorrow, cheers! Hope everyone has nice, easy brew days followed by nice fermentations and tasty beers.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts

While I have no plans on screwing someone tomorrow, I do plan on brewing on new equipment. The first brew in almost 9 months. I guess I might be the one screwed. I too am looking forward to "brewing this one tomorrow".

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I have hand cranked four beers and they all didn't taste any better for the effort. Good for you for enjoying this you masochist . 30lbs of grain took me 15 minutes each time

Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
While I have no plans on screwing someone tomorrow, I do plan on brewing on new equipment. The first brew in almost 9 months. I guess I might be the one screwed. I too am looking forward to "brewing this one tomorrow".
Naw, you'll be fine. Just take your time and relax and it'll all go well. Just remember everything you know as you encounter new issues.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
I have hand cranked four beers and they all didn't taste any better for the effort. Good for you for enjoying this you masochist . 30lbs of grain took me 15 minutes each time
This is the 12th one I've hand cranked. Sure they don't taste better, but at least I get some exercise! I sit on my ass all day for work, so gotta do something.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
jiggs_casey
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Independence, Missouri
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Brewing a hefe tomorrow! With summer still a few months away, it's start to start working on my reserve stock...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts

I tested the new equipment last week, and have corrected the issues but my rig is completely automated now so the first brew is sure to bring a few problems up. Fear is not an option, but it is still there. It is almost like the first AG brew again.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs_casey View Post
Brewing a hefe tomorrow! With summer still a few months away, it's start to start working on my reserve stock...
Nice! I have a Hefeweizen coming up around the beginning of April. Looking forward to that one too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
I tested the new equipment last week, and have corrected the issues but my rig is completely automated now so the first brew is sure to bring a few problems up. Fear is not an option, but it is still there. It is almost like the first AG brew again.
Yeah, I understand. I always have little things I have to tweak but the beer almost always comes out great, and that's the reason we're doing this. Anyway, best of luck. Hope the brew goes nice and easy.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
Netflyer

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Near Benedict Maryland
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
If you can, screw someone tomorrow in his honor, willya?

;-)
All I can think of is Malcolm McDowel in the movie screwin' both the bride and the groom on the occasion of their wedding...

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 01-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Menomonie, WI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If I ever get into all grain, I will hook the grain mill up to my bicycle.