Nugget Nectar Clone - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Nugget Nectar Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 01:41 AM   #21
smokinghole
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
smokinghole's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Posts: 2,915
Liked 131 Times on 107 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by troutab81 View Post
Kegged this morning, got it down to 1.017. Took a sample and it tasted pretty darn good if I say so myself. Big hop flavor upfront with a little fruit aftertaste. Going to let it carb for a while... I'm supposed to save this for a bachelor party, but I am sure I will take a sample and report back here in a week or so.

If I can locate some Troegs NN, I will do a side by side with pics.
If you can't get any let me know I live 10 min from the brewery. It'll give me an excuse to pick up a case.
__________________
Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
troutab81
 
troutab81's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddskinnfan View Post
Waiting in anticipation.....
Me too

I will be waiting until at least Friday to check it out. I will report back and will get a side by side with as detailed notes as my non BJCP butt will allow.

Appreciate the offer on the Troegs, but I can locate some..
__________________
On Deck: El Jefe Bavarian Weizen
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
neomantra
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 201
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


Thought I might chime in here. I brewed up an extract batch of this but with a different recipe. I tried to stick to the ingredients they mention here: http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/nugget_nectar.aspx. I also looked around the web for other clone recipes but found a LOT of disagreement so mostly just winged it in the end. I also made some simplifications to keep cost down. Here's the final recipe I came up with: Nugget Nectar clone Hopville Recipe Calculator PDF

It's in the secondary right now with the Nugget hops. I'm going to bottle this weekend. I tasted the hydrometer sample last weekend and it was pretty damn tasty if I could say so myself. I am also interested in doing the side by side once this is done...preferably with at least 3 friends in sort of a blind taste test kind of thing. I'll post back with comments when that happens. I try to keep detailed logs of all my brews on my blog...if you're interested in my full writeup of this one check out http://neomantra.org/?page_id=234


 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #24
troutab81
 
troutab81's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomantra View Post
Thought I might chime in here. I brewed up an extract batch of this but with a different recipe. I tried to stick to the ingredients they mention here: http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/nugget_nectar.aspx. I also looked around the web for other clone recipes but found a LOT of disagreement so mostly just winged it in the end. I also made some simplifications to keep cost down. Here's the final recipe I came up with: Nugget Nectar clone Hopville Recipe Calculator PDF

It's in the secondary right now with the Nugget hops. I'm going to bottle this weekend. I tasted the hydrometer sample last weekend and it was pretty damn tasty if I could say so myself. I am also interested in doing the side by side once this is done...preferably with at least 3 friends in sort of a blind taste test kind of thing. I'll post back with comments when that happens. I try to keep detailed logs of all my brews on my blog...if you're interested in my full writeup of this one check out http://neomantra.org/?page_id=234
I think your recipe looks great, but you are missing the warrior, tomahawk, and palisade hops mentioned on the website. The ABV listed on their website is 7.4, and I think yours looks to be about 6.5.

Although, if you say it tastes great can't complain with that !

I picked up my NN and will be doing a side by side here very soon and will report back.... I take back my Friday ETA from before...once I got the NN I couldnt wait and the HBT members deserve nothing less!
__________________
On Deck: El Jefe Bavarian Weizen
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman


 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
troutab81
 
troutab81's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 138

Alright, here is my unofficial review:

Color: A little lighter
Aroma: Close enough to be hard to distinguish
Bitterness: Spot on
Flavor: Not AS sweet

Overall, the color (see pic) was a little lighter, and not Amber as they have it. There was chill haze, and hey, it has only been in the keg for 4-5 days or so.. so I assume it will clear up.

The aroma was fantastic and pretty much spot on. My IBU calc was at 94, and the website listed it as 93ish... I think the bittrness level is exactly as the NN.

The NN had a LITTLE more fruity ester flavor than mine. Going back and forth between the two, it became indistinguishable. Overall, the flavor was just a little off...and when I say off...not by much. Mine had a little bit more Malt character where the NN accentuated the fruit profile a little more. But once again, I dont think it was that much off at all.

A couple of tweaks and I think this is a real winner of a clone. I would recommend brewing and letting me know your thoughts!
__________________
On Deck: El Jefe Bavarian Weizen
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #26
troutab81
 
troutab81's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 138

Picture showing the color, NN on the left
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00017.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	15076  
__________________
On Deck: El Jefe Bavarian Weizen
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #27
troutab81
 
troutab81's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutab81 View Post
Alright, here is my unofficial review:

Color: A little lighter
Aroma: Close enough to be hard to distinguish
Bitterness: Spot on
Flavor: Not AS sweet

Overall, the color (see pic) was a little lighter, and not Amber as they have it. There was chill haze, and hey, it has only been in the keg for 4-5 days or so.. so I assume it will clear up.

The aroma was fantastic and pretty much spot on. My IBU calc was at 94, and the website listed it as 93ish... I think the bittrness level is exactly as the NN.

The NN had a LITTLE more fruity ester flavor than mine. Going back and forth between the two, it became indistinguishable. Overall, the flavor was just a little off...and when I say off...not by much. Mine had a little bit more Malt character where the NN accentuated the fruit profile a little more. But once again, I dont think it was that much off at all.

A couple of tweaks and I think this is a real winner of a clone. I would recommend brewing and letting me know your thoughts!
As well as it being the second pour... probably got enough yeast to cultivate a starter jk
__________________
On Deck: El Jefe Bavarian Weizen
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #28
mojotele
 
mojotele's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 833
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


Perhaps yours is lighter simply because it is cloudy? They look really close on the bottom of the glass.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #29
troutab81
 
troutab81's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
Perhaps yours is lighter simply because it is cloudy? They look really close on the bottom of the glass.
Thats my excuse, errr guess. The picutre is a little darker than it really looks. It will still be a little light (surprised since it is partial mash).
__________________
On Deck: El Jefe Bavarian Weizen
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 AM   #30
artguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Massachusetts
Posts: 192
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


So, if you were going to tweak this recipe, would you stick with the same Wy1318 yeast? I was wondering about trying something similar to your recipe with Wy1272, American Ale II, which I gather is somewhat fruitier than the "clean" American ale yeasts like 1056 or Pacman. Any thoughts on the yeast?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Troegs Nugget Nectar Clone websiteguy Recipes/Ingredients 114 06-03-2015 11:48 PM
Red Nectar clone WVbrewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 09-09-2009 09:43 PM
Missing Instructions - Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Clone (brewcraft) TXCrash Extract Brewing 12 03-08-2009 05:21 PM
Does anyone have a clone recipe for Pale Nectar? bgough Recipes/Ingredients 0 02-14-2009 04:11 AM
Nugget Nectar it out!!! leftyguitarjoe General Chit Chat 5 01-19-2009 02:50 PM


Forum Jump