Another first time cider maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adastrafarm

Reaction score
About 4 weeks ago I put 6 gallons of cider (2/3 Baldwin, 1/3 Liberty) that had been in primary fermentation for 6 weeks and I thought was completely dry into wine bottles with standard corks. Today it tastes much like some English and Welsh craft ciders I recently tasted. It is dry, tangy and has no off flavors. But I expected it to be entirely still. It has definitely continued to ferment with a "head" and a significant amount very fine bubbles like good champagne. There is not much pressure in the bottles at this point and right now it's a pleasant beverage. But I am concerned. Will the bottle/corks hold up? And has something gone wrong that I should do something about now?

Sounds like some sort of secondary fermentation started up. What was the sg when you bottled it and what type of yeast?

You say is was completely dry so if the sg was close to terminal, then you might have stirred up just enough action by the yeast when you racked to get some carbonation, probably not enough to make much pressure. How sure are you that it was dry?

You can always keep testing them every few days and if the pressure starts getting high, refrigerate or pasteurize them. probably wouldnt hurt to put them in a cool place

thanks for the advice. Yes it really was terminal (sg 1.0.) and no CO2 bubbles (or so I thought.)
I used liquid English cider yeast. Will keep an eye on the pressure as you suggest.

Back