Coopers Heritage Lager - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Coopers Heritage Lager

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
rocketcrab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Lancaster Co., PA
Posts: 100


I put this one together tonight:

1 Cooper's Heritage Lager
1 can of Coopers Light LME , 3.3lbs [1.5kg]
10 Crystal, .5 lb [22kg]
14 grams Hallertau leaf hops, 20 minutue boil
14 grams Hallertau leaf hops, 5 minute boil
Saflager dry yeast

I was sort of aiming for an American Standard Lager. Using the BeerTools recipe calculator, this was supposed to have an OG of around 1046, but it came in at 1062. I'm not really worried about it, so I get what I get. I threw in all of those extra hops because the first time I made the Heritage Lager, it turned out a bit more sweet than I care for. We'll see what happens!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
rjgiddings
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Seattle
Posts: 29

Hey rocketcrab...interesting ingredients.

Whats going on w/ the beer right now? Fermentation is bubbling away? It might be in 24 or 48 hrs. for sure.

Let me know by Monday night.
__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
rocketcrab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Lancaster Co., PA
Posts: 100

Bubbling away happily this morning.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
hasseg
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Göteborg
Posts: 23

I am also about to make a Heritage Lager, is the yeast that comes with it a lager yeast or just generic ale yeast? It would not really be lager with an ale yeast I gather...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
rocketcrab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Lancaster Co., PA
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasseg View Post
I am also about to make a Heritage Lager, is the yeast that comes with it a lager yeast or just generic ale yeast? It would not really be lager with an ale yeast I gather...

I got this off of an Aussie homebrewing forum - it lists the yeasts that come with Cooper's kits. The Heritage is a combination of a lager/ale yeast.


To summarise some previous posts on what yeast comes with what Cooper's brew:
<ul><li>The International Series Australian Pale Ale and the Premium Selection Sparkling Ale, Australian Bitter, Traditional Draught and Heritage Lager come with a blend of lager and ale yeasts.

<li>The Original Series (Lager, Real Ale, Draught, Bitter, Stout and Dark Ale) are all ale yeasts.
<li>International Series Canadian Blonde is ale.
<li>International Series Bavarian Lager and Brewmaster Selection Pilsener are Saflager (P is stamped next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Wheat Beer is a wheat beer yeast (W next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Nut Brown Ale is (was, as it's now discontinued) an ale yeast (but different to the Original Series yeast).
<li>Brewmaster Selection India Pale Ale is an ale yeast, but I'm not sure what type.
<li>The Irish Stout comes with an ale yeast.
<li>The International Series Mexican Cerveza is an ale/lager blend
</ul>
If anyone's got any further information, please share.
__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. -
Groucho Marx

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
hasseg
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Göteborg
Posts: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcrab View Post
I got this off of an Aussie homebrewing forum - it lists the yeasts that come with Cooper's kits. The Heritage is a combination of a lager/ale yeast.


To summarise some previous posts on what yeast comes with what Cooper's brew:
<ul><li>The International Series Australian Pale Ale and the Premium Selection Sparkling Ale, Australian Bitter, Traditional Draught and Heritage Lager come with a blend of lager and ale yeasts.

<li>The Original Series (Lager, Real Ale, Draught, Bitter, Stout and Dark Ale) are all ale yeasts.
<li>International Series Canadian Blonde is ale.
<li>International Series Bavarian Lager and Brewmaster Selection Pilsener are Saflager (P is stamped next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Wheat Beer is a wheat beer yeast (W next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Nut Brown Ale is (was, as it's now discontinued) an ale yeast (but different to the Original Series yeast).
<li>Brewmaster Selection India Pale Ale is an ale yeast, but I'm not sure what type.
<li>The Irish Stout comes with an ale yeast.
<li>The International Series Mexican Cerveza is an ale/lager blend
</ul>
If anyone's got any further information, please share.
thanks, but a combination what does that mean exactly? Is it half ale/ half lager yeast or some sort of hybrid? Is it supposed to ferment at lager temperatures or ale temperatures..I was also thinking about the starter or should one rehydrate in cold water.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Finnagann
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 77

What I;ve heard is if you ferment @ ale temps the ale yeast will take over and visa versa.... blows my mind a bit but it must work if they're shipping the stuff around the world. Also it must be the saflager S-189 or something similar... a normal lager yeast would be nasty if fermented at high temps, as I understand. S189 is a very clean fermenting lager yeast that can take pretty high temps.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
rocketcrab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Lancaster Co., PA
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasseg View Post
thanks, but a combination what does that mean exactly? Is it half ale/ half lager yeast or some sort of hybrid? Is it supposed to ferment at lager temperatures or ale temperatures..I was also thinking about the starter or should one rehydrate in cold water.
I suppose it's all of the above - sort of a fool-proof yeast for the "averge guy" who just wants to make decent beer without a lot of fuss. I made my Heritage Lager with a a dry lager yeast that I bought from my LHBS, and chucked the kit yeast into a batch of cider - where it's not doing much. As for re-hydrating yeast, I've never bothered doing that with any of Cooper's yeasts, and have never had a problem.
__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. -
Groucho Marx

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
rocketcrab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Lancaster Co., PA
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnagann View Post
What I;ve heard is if you ferment @ ale temps the ale yeast will take over and visa versa.... blows my mind a bit but it must work if they're shipping the stuff around the world. Also it must be the saflager S-189 or something similar... a normal lager yeast would be nasty if fermented at high temps, as I understand. S189 is a very clean fermenting lager yeast that can take pretty high temps.
I'm not familiar with S-189. Does it go by another name?
__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. -
Groucho Marx

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #10
Finnagann
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 77

Just Saflager S 189 as far as I know. I hear it is uncommon... the only time I've heard people talking about it is in reference to this kit I think. The aussies seem to be familiar with it so maybe its not avail in north america?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Coopers Lager Panther1911 Extract Brewing 28 07-27-2015 05:39 PM
Honey Lager (With Coopers Kit) dfargo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 10-22-2011 08:41 PM
Coopers Lager Kit beerdom Extract Brewing 5 10-20-2011 09:57 PM
Cooper's Heritage Lager sctirvn687 General Techniques 6 12-19-2009 05:17 AM
Coopers Lager...problems h2dk Extract Brewing 10 03-31-2006 04:03 AM


Forum Jump