Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Single Vessel, All Electric, NS, NC Brewery

Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #31
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Awesome. I might have to steal some more of your models on Sketchup! You do good work!

I like the integrated deep sink. You could have a bottom valve on the vessel, with a tee, and reroute your wastewater into the sink when it comes time to CIP.

Or, you could modify the sink's drain and ferment in it! Wrap a glycol coil around it, and you're set. Maybe use a CFC and then you've got a chiller for your fermenter AND your wort. You'd have room under the unit for a small freezer.

Also, why not put the controls under the table, but in the same location? It'd be protected, and you'd free up space on the table.

Rather than hooking the hoist on the wall, maybe make an overarching "hutch" out of SS square tube. You could use it as a top shelf for storage, plus the hoist on the underside would be strong enough to haul ~75 lbs. max.....

Old 01-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #32
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts

I am not sure about the RIMS tube either. Steve- why do you want a separate RIMS tube?

I will play with some design changes today.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #33
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Starting to get the hang of sketchup....I have a few models up under ScubaSteve in the Sketchup Warehouse. B-K, I took the liberty of turning your Bayou Classic 82qt into a 100qt MegaPot!

I want the RIMS so I can add on-demand hot water over the basket in order to sparge. I want to be able to do everything that a 3 vessel rig can do, in one vessel. My RIMS will essentially be my HLT, though I plan on heating strike water directly in the pot.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #34
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts

The other idea I had was to somehow seal the sides of the basket so that the only flow was through the base. Basically a zap-pap sparge system except it is the brew kettle. Not exactly sure how to do it though.

This would make sparging more effective.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #35
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Well, the more places you give the liquor to rinse and escape the tun, you'll be rinsing a lot more out. Plus you don't want to close off the holes as it will also be used as a hop basket when you boil. Don't know why, but I really want a 100 quart pot. I figure if you got a megapot then you could buy the basket separate and you could dial down the deadspace in the bottom. The basket should fit all the way down, as there is no lip for it to rest on.

It would be nice to be able to do 5-25 gallon batches in a rig like this...but I can see issues with it being too big for a 5gal batch. The deadspace alone is 4 gallons, and you gotta get the grain basket dipped in there deep for a good mash. Maybe you'd have to compensate with a long boil....these pots DO have high evap rates, and I'm sure the 5500W ULD will help

Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #36
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I want the RIMS so I can add on-demand hot water over the basket in order to sparge. I want to be able to do everything that a 3 vessel rig can do, in one vessel. My RIMS will essentially be my HLT, though I plan on heating strike water directly in the pot.
I am sorry if I am being dense, but would that work the same way if you recirculated from out of the bottom of the pot and into the top of the basket, with a heating element in the kettle, and without a separate heating element in the RIMS tube? What purpose does a separate element in the RIMS tube serve?
MaltedBayerl Likes This 
Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #37
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I am not sure about the RIMS tube either.
FWIW, the reason I still use a RIMS tube in my single vessel setup is because I already had it. That's all

Also, 80% efficiency with no-sparge is good enough for me.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #38
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

80% no-sparge huh? Is this due to your grain crush?

BTW, I'm very interested in this compact Single Vessel idea. Time to get a bigger pot!
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #39
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
80% no-sparge huh? Is this due to your grain crush?
I generally get 100% conversion and have no dead space. I just make sure the pH is right. I crush @.030 on my barley crusher. I generally dough-in at 135 and raise to mash temp -- no dough-balls and easy to do with my RIMS. 90 minute boil. Larger grain bills are slightly lower.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #40
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Bakins, what's the biggest grain bill you've done in that 62 quart setup? I did the math, and the actual volume of the basket is 9.75 gallons.

Something else to consider for reducing deadspace: Use a non Bayou Classic pot and buy a steamer basket separately. The basket should drop all the way in. You could bend the element down slightly and then back to horizontal, and this might buy you a few centimeters....which would amount to a significant volume in a 25 gal pot.....YMMV.

Regarding the RIMS. Yes, the element in the BK can be used exclusively to heat the mash and recirculate. What it can't do is introduce FRESH heated water into the system for sparging. Hence, the RIMS. I would be able to select between water or wort at the inlet of the RIMS, via a 3-way valve (haven't figured my plumbing out yet). I plan on using the BCS-460 so the cost of another element, SSR, etc. is minimal and gives me more flexibility.

Sparging may not be necessary for some of us, but I see nothing wrong with getting a nice rinse at the end. I imagine you'd get quite a bit of sugar out of there with a 170F rinse using fresh water due to the difference in osmolarity.