Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I think I found a problem....want to verify.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #1
togabear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I think I found a problem....want to verify.

I brewed two really good AG beers on my first go. My 3rd and 4th are not so good-but I think I found the problem. Wanna make sure though, can anyone confirm this?

I got a nice digital thermometer and I made sure it was calibrated when I first got it. I brewed my 3rd and 4th AG beers with this thermometer in the same week and got slightly high OGs. After 3 weeks in the carboy, I kegged and carbed them earlier this week. They both have a very strong bitter and mouth puckering taste and almost no malt...i guess almost very grainy? Except for the off flavor they taste like okay drier beers. The first one is drinkable, the second one is really bad. I checked my hop usage and the bitterness wasn't from that.

I luckily tested the digital thermometer today after tasting that...it reads 25 degrees lower than what it actually is....I hit mash temps of 185F...crap. Back to my old one.

Most importantly, Is my beer screwed?!?! And is that the taste you get from high mash temps? Will aging really help much more or will that taste always be around? I was going to drink the lower OG beer (1.050) soon and leave the other one a month or so.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
togabear
Recipes 

P.S. I was going to put this in the drunken ramblings section, but I didn't have drinkable beer to get drunk on.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The mouth puckering taste is most likely an astringent character originating with the exceptionally high temp that you mashed at. Unfortunately, it isn't going to get a whole lot better. The tannins responsible for this character will settle out with time, but they will never disappear completely. Sorry.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
slomo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes mashing at those temps will definately create off flavors. You probably extracted a lot of tannins from the grains, And I believe that I remember reading that tannins don't really condition out.
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
togabear
Recipes 

Crap. Thats what I thought. Ill keep the first one as its not bad. If it mellows even just a little it will be a enjoyable, but far from perfect beer. The second one....I think I might chuck it. Ill keep it for a month and see if it gets better....if not, good bye cause I need the keg space. I hope it does.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
arxix
Recipes 

I made a mistake my first batch and left my steeping grains in though the whole boil! It was tanic at first but a several weeks to a few months later is it much better, not great but I can tell the tanins are less pronounced.

-ArXiX

Old 01-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Congrats on being able to diagnose your issue, that's a huge step in becoming a better brewer. And yeah, sounds like your beers are going to be a lost cause.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 01-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
togabear
Recipes 

Thanks for the info ArXiX-hopefully the beer will be drinkable soon. Im now sure the first one will be, the second one-still not sure. I just put them in the back of my closet and Im going to forget them until I need a keg.

TheJadedDog, thanks for the vote of confidence...lets hope I dont do that again.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
togabear
Recipes 

Actually, does anyone know if adding gelatin will help? Supposedly removes tannins and if I add a little more than whats usually called for maybe I can clear some of that stuff out and make a more drinkable beer.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
thebigt85
Recipes 

It's possible, but the tannins are quite astringent and won't ever entirely go away. I'd try and give it a shot and see what happens. I believe that gelatin works better on chilled beer, but I'm not 100% sure.