Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Amber Ale FG too high

Old 01-22-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
abledsoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Amber Ale FG too high

Need some advice here...

My very first batch (Amber Ale extract kit) has been in the fermenter for 20 days today. OG was 1.043, should have been 1.050-1.054. Other than that everything seemed to be going well. Cracked it open tonight for the first time to take a reading. Came out at 1.028. My instruction sheet didn't list a target FG but this can't be right. Using their formula that gives an ABV of 1.9ish.

The beer looked really good and clear, smelled and tasted really good too. Room temperature stayed 62-64 during the entire fermentation. I REALLY need to bottle this on Saturday (which would be day #22). I plan to take another reading tomorrow, if I get the same reading is it okay to go ahead and bottle it?

I tried to do some searching on here and all I can figure is my yeast (Nottingham) stalled.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Fermentation can take a while. you are at the lower temperature range for Nottingham. My basement is @ 60 during the day and colder at night and my ciders can take a long time to finish.

Are you adjusting your readings for temperature?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Erythro73
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Maybe your OG was this low because you added tap water to top off 5 gallons, and it didn't mix evenly.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:53 AM   #4
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There was a post recently where the poster ramped up the temp (70?) and roused the yeast to get it to finish out.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
Rentachik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray View Post
There was a post recently where the poster ramped up the temp (70?) and roused the yeast to get it to finish out.

+1 works for me

Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
abledsoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did adjust my readings for temperature. So is it just a horrible idea to go ahead and bottle this tomorrow? Would a low ABV be the only concern?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6036 Times on 4303 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

I wouldn't think it would have low ABV- I think your OG reading is off. When you make an extract batch, if you use all of the ingredients and the right amount of water, the OG has to be correct. The sugars are there in the extract, already processed and they can't disappear. Inaccurate readings are common, due to incomplete mixing of the top up water and the boiled wort. That's not a problem at all- the yeast mix it up well and you'll have beer in the end.

However, if the FG is that high, the problem wouldn't be low ABV. The problem could very well be bottle bombs.

If it starts fermenting again in the bottle, the bottles will blow up causing glass shrapnel all over your house.

What's the recipe? We can figure out what your OG was, and what a reasonable FG will be for you.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
abledsoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I wouldn't think it would have low ABV- I think your OG reading is off. When you make an extract batch, if you use all of the ingredients and the right amount of water, the OG has to be correct. The sugars are there in the extract, already processed and they can't disappear. Inaccurate readings are common, due to incomplete mixing of the top up water and the boiled wort. That's not a problem at all- the yeast mix it up well and you'll have beer in the end.

However, if the FG is that high, the problem wouldn't be low ABV. The problem could very well be bottle bombs.

If it starts fermenting again in the bottle, the bottles will blow up causing glass shrapnel all over your house.

What's the recipe? We can figure out what your OG was, and what a reasonable FG will be for you.

Here is the link to the instruction sheet/recipe I used. Followed them exactly, however with boil off I was just a hair under 5 gallons in the end.

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1...ican_Amber.pdf

Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
abledsoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
What kind/brand of yeast did you use?
Nottingham, I dont know the batch number or anything, sorry.