Mr. Malty and yeast starters - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Mr. Malty and yeast starters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Dave258
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
New York
Posts: 624
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts



I am thinking of getting the Pliny Clone from AHS and doing some research on what to pitch in a big beer.

AHS suggest to double pitch, but Mr. Malty says I can get away with a 3 liter starter.
Does a three liter starter sound like it would work? I think the OG is 1.071 and the yeast theay are recomending is Wyeast 1056 American Ale. I wonder if they are out of WLP001. I have never used Wyeast yet.

If the three liter starter is good, can I build on a 2 liter? I only have a 2 liter flask.
Make a two liter starter, leave on stirplate for 2 days, let settle, decant, add new starter wort let stir another 2 days?
How does that sound?
As always, thanks for the help on this great site!!!!


__________________
Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
chemman14
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,643
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts


if you have a stir plate it says you only need a 1.3 liter starter



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Dave258
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
New York
Posts: 624
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
if you have a stir plate it says you only need a 1.3 liter starter
That is if you start with 2 vials of yeast I think. Am I reading it wrong?

I only want to use one vial of yeast (save 7.00) and make a bigger starter.
I slid the slider on the bottom until it said 1 vial, and that is where it says a 3.14 Liter starter. I also changed the Production date, of the yeast figuring I will not get yeast produced in January.
__________________
Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
greeneyed
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Whitt, Texas
Posts: 283
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I think you are reading it wrong. Did you change the dropdown to stirplate?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Dave258
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
New York
Posts: 624
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyed View Post
I think you are reading it wrong. Did you change the dropdown to stirplate?
yes. If you leave the production date of the yeast at today's date, it says 1.32 liter starter. But isn't that if the yeast is packaged today?

I just looked at a vial of WLP300 I have in the fridge for a Dunkelweizen I am brewing soon. The best before date is April 15, 2010. It then says that the package date is 4 months before the best before date. Meaning that that yeast was put in the vial on or around December 15.

Do you guys not change the production date when calculating the size of your starter?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
chemman14
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,643
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave258 View Post
yes. If you leave the production date of the yeast at today's date, it says 1.32 liter starter. But isn't that if the yeast is packaged today?

I just looked at a vial of WLP300 I have in the fridge for a Dunkelweizen I am brewing soon. The best before date is April 15, 2010. It then says that the package date is 4 months before the best before date. Meaning that that yeast was put in the vial on or around December 15.

Do you guys not change the production date when calculating the size of your starter?
yeah, but it wont double the size of starter needed

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
shortyjacobs
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,507
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
yeah, but it wont double the size of starter needed
Uh, yes it will.

I set it back 2 months, and it went from 1.32 to 2.7 ....me calls that doubling.

OP, the prevailing wisdom here is that stepping up doesn't do anything. Yeast hit a "terminal concentration", in any wort, and stop reproducing. So, if you make a 2L starter, decant, then add 2L more wort, you will have the exact same amount of yeast in the end as you had before you decanted...

I don't really believe this prevailing wisdom, but that's just me. To do it "right", you need the size starter listed. You COULD make a 2L starter, then dump it into a 1 gallon jug and shake it around lots and hope you get close...or just stick with 2L and hope.
__________________
Itchy Dog Brewery.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
Dave258
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
New York
Posts: 624
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Thanks shorty. That is what I meant. I put it back 4 months, and that is when it said a 3 liter starter.
I thought if I would split it up and did 2 equal shots of 1500 ml of starter wort I could end up with a 3 liter starter.
Guess I'll need to buy a bigger flask already. Or be saved if the yeast is fresher.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Pittsburg, California
Posts: 385
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
OP, the prevailing wisdom here is that stepping up doesn't do anything. Yeast hit a "terminal concentration", in any wort, and stop reproducing. So, if you make a 2L starter, decant, then add 2L more wort, you will have the exact same amount of yeast in the end as you had before you decanted...


Is that what stepping up is considered around here? I would say stepping up is a gradual increase of starter size in order to increase yeast populations. So, say start with a 2L starter and add that yeast to 5L or something for a lager, or start with a Brett vial and throw that into 200-300ml, and then throw that into 2-3L.

Where is the stepping up if you keep the size of the starter the same?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
shortyjacobs
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,507
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKennedy View Post
Is that what stepping up is considered around here? I would say stepping up is a gradual increase of starter size in order to increase yeast populations. So, say start with a 2L starter and add that yeast to 5L or something for a lager, or start with a Brett vial and throw that into 200-300ml, and then throw that into 2-3L.

Where is the stepping up if you keep the size of the starter the same?
Sorry, used the wrong lingo. Stepping up means what you said, right. Start small, (few hundred mLs,), ferment that out, decant, pitch into 2L, repeat, etc.

The idea with stepping up is to not stress the yeast. You can't easily dump a culture from a slant into 2L of wort and have it grow up big and strong without lots of stress on the yeast....but again, prevailing wisdom is that, no matter how you get to 2L (or whatever), you'll always have the same concentration of yeast. Again, I don't quite believe this, but take it for what you will. Most of the "higher ups" around here in terms of experience preach the "terminal concentration" theory, (held by Sacc, Jamil, and others), so who am I to say no?


__________________
Itchy Dog Brewery.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mr Malty wants more yeast than manufacturer? triangulum33 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 12-03-2009 03:41 PM
Mr. Malty and Whitelabs Yeast daveooph131 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 10-10-2009 12:31 AM
On Mr Malty, yeast washing, and slurry thickness greenbirds General Techniques 7 07-02-2009 03:23 PM
Best Yeast for super malty taste? ApolloSpeed Recipes/Ingredients 9 03-25-2009 03:47 PM
Mr. Malty Yeast Pitching Calculator question Lenny2884 General Techniques 7 03-03-2009 12:58 AM


Forum Jump