which yeast should i use for a pliny clone? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > which yeast should i use for a pliny clone?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
andrew300
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
bay area
Posts: 151


I am going to be making a pliny the elder clone from abs and the two yeast options are liquid wyeast american ale 1056 and the dry danstar nottingham. I was debating on which one to use? It says filtration is necessary for the wyeast which i do not have the equipment to do that. What do you guys think? Also, if I choose the danstar, would I need to pitch 2 packets or just 1? Thanks.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
michael.berta
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Posts: 518
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


I would use either Wyeast 1056 American Ale, White Labs 001 or Safale US-05. I guess Nottingham would probably work fine too. For pitching rates see the Pitching Rate Calculator:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Have Fun



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Matt Up North
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,023
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Don't use Nottingham. Wrong flavor profile. Use California yeast for sure
__________________
New and improved signature.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
bdnoona
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 451
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Wyeast 1056/WLP001/S-05 is the yeast called for in the official recipe.
__________________
Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
andrew300
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
bay area
Posts: 151

okay, i will use the 1056 and use a big starter. i dont have filtering capabilities. would it be okay to not filter it and just add irish moss towards end of boil? this is what is says on the wyeast site "Normally requires filtration for bright beers. DE or pad filtration recommended. "

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
michael.berta
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Posts: 518
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew300 View Post
would it be okay to not filter it and just add irish moss towards end of boil?
Yes that should be fine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
permo
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
North Dakota
Posts: 2,925
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
Don't use Nottingham. Wrong flavor profile. Use California yeast for sure
I would go for the nottingham if you have the ability to ferment between 62 and 67 degrees. White Labs 001, US-05 and Nottingham are virtually indistinguishable if properly fermented. The difference being that nottingham will attenuate a little bit better, floculate a little better but it won't tolerate high temps well.

Nottingham has gotten a bad reputation because of the recall, but it is IMO, one of the best all around yeasts available if you properly control the fermentation temperature.

It's really funny, because the every popular sierra nevada strain is a mutation of nottingham............... also...nottingham does not require filtration for bright beers...it drops like a rock and sticks to the bottom of the fermenter like glue.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
michael.berta
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Posts: 518
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I would go for the nottingham if you have the ability to ferment between 62 and 67 degrees. White Labs 001, US-05 and Nottingham are virtually indistinguishable if properly fermented. The difference being that nottingham will attenuate a little bit better, floculate a little better but it won't tolerate high temps well.

Nottingham has gotten a bad reputation because of the recall, but it is IMO, one of the best all around yeasts available if you properly control the fermentation temperature.

It's really funny, because the every popular sierra nevada strain is a mutation of nottingham............... also...nottingham does not require filtration for bright beers...it drops like a rock and sticks to the bottom of the fermenter like glue.
+1. Preach on brotha

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
Brew-boy
 
Brew-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Lapeer, Michigan
Posts: 2,273
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts


WLP001 would be my first choice
__________________
Next:Smoked Pilsner.
Primary:Belgian Red, American Stout w/Roeselare
On Tap:Pale Ale, English Bitter
Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,088
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


The real thing isn't even remotely clear so I wouldn't sweat yeast choice based on floculation.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pliny the Younger clone Matt Up North Recipes/Ingredients 24 08-22-2011 05:49 PM
Pliny the Elder Clone Netflyer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 74 04-01-2011 10:06 PM
made the Pliny clone from Austin yesterday WVBeerBaron All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 19 02-15-2010 01:45 AM
Attenuation issue with Pliny clone spiny_norman Fermentation & Yeast 17 12-03-2009 09:52 PM


Forum Jump