My Keezer Build:
Simple, but decent looking Keezer build! Trust me, if I can do this, anyone can. I’m going to go ahead and apologize for the wall of text, but my keezer turned out much better than expected, so this can be a template for anyone who might need it.
I measured the outside dimensions of the freezer (at the lid) and cut up a standard 2x8 to match my dimensions. Being lazy, I didn’t sand (the saw made the ends decently smooth). I did use a file to clear off any major rough spots.
I stained one side and the edges of each piece using some dark wood stain (to look good with my black freezer) and waited 24 hours. I then flipped them over and stained the other side. Because I used soft wood, this was plenty dark for me (I would probably do another pass for hardwood). I did stain the ends twice because I wanted them to be very dark at each side of the front (I made them visible on the front so the screws would be hidden, it turned out pretty nice).
Next, I did the same 2 day process for the polyurethane, except I left the top and bottom edges like they were (for a better seal with the liquid nails).
Once my wood was ready, I lined everything up and used pilot holes and 4” screws to attach each piece. I got a surprisingly good seal this way. The thing was rock solid, but I added some 90* angle brackets to really secure the thing.
Next, I measured my faucet locations. I spaced mine 5” on center. Once marked, I drilled my pilot holes and then drilled the holes with a cheap 1” wood bit. I only did 2 faucets at first, but ended up regretting it (luckily I spaced them knowing I would add the third in the future – one was in the center and the other 5” to the right).
After that I drilled a ½” hole in the back for my fan power and temperature probe. For air circulation, I used a computer fan spliced into a cell phone charger that runs constantly. I didn’t plan ahead and wired the fan up before drilling the hole. Of course my fan didn’t fit through the ½” hole, so I had to cut the wires and do it again (not too much trouble, but stupid nonetheless). I used some heavy-duty double sided foam mounting tape to attach the fan to the collar, and that thing is surprisingly solid.
I removed the screws attaching the lid to the freezer and took it off. I unscrewed the plastic underneath the lid and removed the rubber seal. I lined up the rubber seal around the opening and then applied a strip of liquid nails all the way around. I carefully set the collar on the rubber strip and lined everything up, making sure the collar was flush against where it would be attached to the hinge in the back.
Next it was simply a matter of applying another strip of liquid nails around the collar and placing the lid on top. I added a bunch of weights to the top (being careful not to dent the lid) and waited 2 hours for it to set. After that, everything was solid. I attached the collar to the hinges using two 1-¼” screws for each hinge. It is quite sturdy.
I inserted the temperature probe and plugged the freezer into my thermostat and the thermostat into the wall. It is currently set on 40* and doesn’t kick on very much at all. I just used a piece of paper towel to fill the hole for the temp probe.
I used Perlick faucets and installed them through the holes. I had a carboy full of apfelwein and a carboy full of American Brown Ale which I had previously kegged since I got my equipment from Keg cowboy a week earlier. I had hooked the gas up at 20 psi at room temperature so it would be semi carbed. I turned the gas down to 12psi and put everything into the kegerator. I hooked the beer lines to the faucets and got everything working. I only had one traumatic issue (that resulted in a loss of about a gallon and a half of delicious beer), but luckily Jeff at Keg Cowboy is incredible and came over that day to replace a leaky faucet (Perlick’s are wonderful, but there is a 1 in a million chance you get a defective one). Now that’s service!
I cleaned up and now I have delicious beer on tap! A few days later, everything is at the right temperature and carbed up nicely
I am now in the process of installing a drip tray and a third tap. My regulator has 4 outlets so I can have 3 beers on tap and a 4th carbing using the set and forget method.
Here are some rough cell phone pictures (better ones to follow):