Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Help formulating an all Brett C. session beer

Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #31
wetherel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've used wl Brett C 3-4 times (Always with lacto, sometimes with a lacto head start, sometimes not). I get an initial vomit aroma, which transforms into mega pineapple, but then slowly fades away. Maybe it fades away because I let it sit too long (months, when 3 weeks or less is probably more appropriate). It could also be that my room temp fermentation encourages the volatile aromas to dissipate. What temps are you using? Maybe I should start at room, wait for the pineapple explosion, the continue at 60 for a week or two until the gravity stabilizes, then bottle. I've read something about simple sugars encouraging acidity...I wonder if it encourages aroma development as well.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #32
saq
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
Chad Yakobson did some work for a MS on Brett, although he said that the WL brett C was actually 2 strains of brett not brett _+ lacto

http://brettanomyces.wordpress.com/
Thats who told me it was brett C + lacto + pichia.
He sent me one of his brett strains that didn't make it into the trials, he isolated it from a oude beersel bottle. I brewed The Bard with it and its been sitting in a keg for a while, its got this funky blue cheese and overripe fruit note I don't know how I feel about. I'm due to check it again soon, haven't touched it in 5+ months. If its still where it left off I'm blending some tart cherry concentrate and about a 1/4 pound of D1 candi syrup in.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #33
scone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetherel View Post
I've used wl Brett C 3-4 times (Always with lacto, sometimes with a lacto head start, sometimes not). I get an initial vomit aroma, which transforms into mega pineapple, but then slowly fades away. Maybe it fades away because I let it sit too long (months, when 3 weeks or less is probably more appropriate). It could also be that my room temp fermentation encourages the volatile aromas to dissipate. What temps are you using? Maybe I should start at room, wait for the pineapple explosion, the continue at 60 for a week or two until the gravity stabilizes, then bottle. I've read something about simple sugars encouraging acidity...I wonder if it encourages aroma development as well.
I've only brewed an all-brett c. beer once, and I would hardly say it's a pineapple bomb or anything like that, but the pineapple is definitely there. I fermented it very hot (around 80F) actually, it was winter and I had a heat lamp on it that I got a little carried away with. I read somewhere that brett. c likes it hot, though I can't recall the source right now. It fermented out quite fast, and I bottled 3-4 weeks later. As far as acidity, I did have 1/2 lb. of acid malt in the brew, I'm not sure how much that would change the overall acidity of 5 gallons of beer... but it's possible that had something to do with the pineapple as well??