Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Propane burners and tank service

Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
60sd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I heard that if you do the exchange you may not get a full tank and that it's based on the current price of propane. I took my blue rhino (or similar exchange program tank) to a local propane distributor (Kamps Propane) and had it filled for about half the price of an exchange. While the tech was filling my tank he told me that all exchange tanks should be full when you purchase them. Either way, I'm getting the refills rather than the exchanges from now on.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sd View Post
I heard that if you do the exchange you may not get a full tank and that it's based on the current price of propane. I took my blue rhino (or similar exchange program tank) to a local propane distributor (Kamps Propane) and had it filled for about half the price of an exchange. While the tech was filling my tank he told me that all exchange tanks should be full when you purchase them. Either way, I'm getting the refills rather than the exchanges from now on.
I did a blue rhino exchange ONCE. Ther was a little letter attached to the tank that notified me of a class action lawsuit against Blue Rhino alleging that the tanks were being put in the display less than completely full. Blue Rhino denied all wrong doing, bla bla bla. Now I have my tank filled at BJs. They fill by the pount, so I pay for only what I receive.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer

I did a blue rhino exchange ONCE. Ther was a little letter attached to the tank that notified me of a class action lawsuit against Blue Rhino alleging that the tanks were being put in the display less than completely full. Blue Rhino denied all wrong doing, bla bla bla. Now I have my tank filled at BJs. They fill by the pount, so I pay for only what I receive.
The blue rhino exchange at my local Lowes has a big sign that says they only fill 15lbs in the tanks for exchange. I was in a pinch over the weekend and my local gas company was closed. Almost $20 for 15lbs of propane. I get 20lbs for $12.50 at my gas place.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
The blue rhino exchange at my local Lowes has a big sign that says they only fill 15lbs in the tanks for exchange. I was in a pinch over the weekend and my local gas company was closed. Almost $20 for 15lbs of propane. I get 20lbs for $12.50 at my gas place.
Was going into the local Fleet/Farm-type store yesterday and noticed the same thing. Don't recall if it was B R tank service or not, but the sign on the tank cage said "Net Weight 15lbs". for $17, or something like that. Last time I had my 20s filled I think the price was about the same as you paid, $12 or so.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
MollyHatchet
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I pay about $12.50 plus tax at the local hardware store for a 20 lb bottle, (refill). I have toyed with the idea of getting a pair of 40 lb tanks.