Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Propane burners and tank service
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
60sd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manteca, CA
Posts: 86
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I heard that if you do the exchange you may not get a full tank and that it's based on the current price of propane. I took my blue rhino (or similar exchange program tank) to a local propane distributor (Kamps Propane) and had it filled for about half the price of an exchange. While the tech was filling my tank he told me that all exchange tanks should be full when you purchase them. Either way, I'm getting the refills rather than the exchanges from now on.


60sd is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
william_shakes_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,335
Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sd View Post
I heard that if you do the exchange you may not get a full tank and that it's based on the current price of propane. I took my blue rhino (or similar exchange program tank) to a local propane distributor (Kamps Propane) and had it filled for about half the price of an exchange. While the tech was filling my tank he told me that all exchange tanks should be full when you purchase them. Either way, I'm getting the refills rather than the exchanges from now on.
I did a blue rhino exchange ONCE. Ther was a little letter attached to the tank that notified me of a class action lawsuit against Blue Rhino alleging that the tanks were being put in the display less than completely full. Blue Rhino denied all wrong doing, bla bla bla. Now I have my tank filled at BJs. They fill by the pount, so I pay for only what I receive.


william_shakes_beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
CadillacAndy
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CadillacAndy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,081
Liked 112 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer

I did a blue rhino exchange ONCE. Ther was a little letter attached to the tank that notified me of a class action lawsuit against Blue Rhino alleging that the tanks were being put in the display less than completely full. Blue Rhino denied all wrong doing, bla bla bla. Now I have my tank filled at BJs. They fill by the pount, so I pay for only what I receive.
The blue rhino exchange at my local Lowes has a big sign that says they only fill 15lbs in the tanks for exchange. I was in a pinch over the weekend and my local gas company was closed. Almost $20 for 15lbs of propane. I get 20lbs for $12.50 at my gas place.
__________________
Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog
CadillacAndy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
whoaru99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,685
Liked 135 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
The blue rhino exchange at my local Lowes has a big sign that says they only fill 15lbs in the tanks for exchange. I was in a pinch over the weekend and my local gas company was closed. Almost $20 for 15lbs of propane. I get 20lbs for $12.50 at my gas place.
Was going into the local Fleet/Farm-type store yesterday and noticed the same thing. Don't recall if it was B R tank service or not, but the sign on the tank cage said "Net Weight 15lbs". for $17, or something like that. Last time I had my 20s filled I think the price was about the same as you paid, $12 or so.
__________________
Drinking: Craptastic Cream Ale
Primary: Scottish Wee Heavy
whoaru99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
MollyHatchet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Harrisburg Pa
Posts: 244
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Default

I pay about $12.50 plus tax at the local hardware store for a 20 lb bottle, (refill). I have toyed with the idea of getting a pair of 40 lb tanks.


MollyHatchet is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
two burners from one tank of propane? Zymurgrafi Equipment/Sanitation 11 12-04-2012 11:12 PM
have ? about propane burners. beerlover69 Equipment/Sanitation 1 12-16-2009 03:09 PM
Hooking 2 burners up to one propane tank? vanwolfhausen Equipment/Sanitation 4 04-05-2008 12:41 AM
propane burners JBrady Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 06-11-2007 04:10 AM
Propane Burners cgcaudle Equipment/Sanitation 30 05-19-2006 01:20 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS