Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What temperature to store bottles at?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
robertvrabel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Default What temperature to store bottles at?

So my first batch of beer has been sitting in the bottles for about 1.5 weeks now. I have a small cedar walk in closet in my basement which is around 60-62F. I also store my wine down in here since its a very dark room.

My question is, is this an ok place to store my bottles to let them carbonate? I figure I'm going to just leave all my batches in this walkin closet we have because its out of the way and I have no place upstairs where its normally in the high 60s to store 100s of bottles of beer.

If it needs to be warmer, is there anything I can do to warm up the room? I'd hate to have to run an electric heater or something all the time.. mainly because of the fire hazard issue, but maybe I'm just over paranoid about that. But if someone has successfully done this, let me know what product you use.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Technically, it's supposed to sit at 70 to carb. But, 62 should work, might just take a bit longer. Leave it for three weeks, then try one. If it's not carbed, give it another few weeks.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

3 weeks at 70F is the general rule of thumb. They may still carb at 60F but don't be surprised if it takes longer than 3 weeks.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Below 70 they will take longer to carb up. It may not seem like abig tem discrepency to us but to the little yeast it really is.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Reedwalker
Recipes 

My cellar is a pretty constant 58*F in the winter and 64*F in the summer.

Generally my beers carb up in 2-3 weeks.

The higher ABV% beers and Belgians seem to take 4-5 weeks. I prefer to let these age longer anyways.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Revvy

Where is your thread that you usually direct people towards re bottle conditiong time? Is it stickied? I couldn't find it...

Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
robertvrabel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Where does everyone store their bottles at in the winter? I've got no good place upstairs to do so... I'm already using our extra full bath tub as my primary fermenting area since it stays around 68..

I guess so long as I know they will still carbonate I'm ok with that... I was just worried that it wouldn't!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertvrabel View Post
Where does everyone store their bottles at in the winter? I've got no good place upstairs to do so... I'm already using our extra full bath tub as my primary fermenting area since it stays around 68..

I guess so long as I know they will still carbonate I'm ok with that... I was just worried that it wouldn't!
Sounds like you have a place

Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
robertvrabel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedwalker View Post
My cellar is a pretty constant 58*F in the winter and 64*F in the summer.

Generally my beers carb up in 2-3 weeks.

The higher ABV% beers and Belgians seem to take 4-5 weeks. I prefer to let these age longer anyways.
Sounds like my room will work perfect then... I have no problem waiting longer for them to carb. Although right now it is really hard since i have nothing to drink... but I've already brewed 4 batches since I got kit for x-mas... so I have a good pipeline going. Patience at first is hard without any homebrew to drink!