Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Temp Control For Chest Freezer

Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
PT Ray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Temp Control For Chest Freezer

Got hold hold of a scratch-n-dent freezer the other week to add to the herd. This one I decided to fabricate a digital temp controller. My work started with the RiteTemp 6020 digital t-stat in part due to the info found on the DIY temp controller build thread.

So went to Depot and picked up the t-stat

Pulled the thermistor and measured the value (50K) in order to build a remote probe. I found a 50k thermistor probe from Digi Key

And this for a backup in-case my first didn't work out:

I soldered it up to 6 foot piece of wire and put a 2.5mm plug on the other end. Mounted a jack on the font of the controller.

The t-stat is powered via a transformer-relay combo normally used on your blower on an ac unit. It supplies the 24vac for the t-stat and has the relay for your line voltage.

Once I pulled the original t-stat it made some room to mount the j-box for the controller.

I used the the original location for the old probe to mount the remote thermistor.

Looking back it may have been easier just to get a Love controller but live and learn.