Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Brewing with Chestnuts

Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #201
mrkstel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeinwa View Post
Dry, i.e, like sec in wine, is called thus, because all the avalible sugars have been converted to alcohol. Windsor will ferment up to 8+% ABV. With a s.g. of 1.055 alcohol potential is only 6%. Try increasing the sugars so you have some left after fermentation.

leeinwa
Lee,

Yes I understand that if I were to increase the fermentables to exceed the tolerance of the yeast, some sugars will remain. However, I'd rather not have 9% ABV beer. Hence, why I designed this beer at 1.055. If I understand correctly, in the case of barley malt the wort consists of fermentable and nonfermentable sugars. After fermentation, the latter remain and give the beer body and a slightly sweet flavor (to be balanced by hops). It seems to me that chestnut wort lacks these nonfermentables. Which allows the yeast to metabolize all the sugars in a lower gravity beer, leaving no other sugars at the end for body and sweetness. Am I correct in this thinking? Is there anything we can add to the wort to compensate for this? Possibly maltodextrin or lactose. The malto I added improved the body but did little for the flavor. I assume lactose would help with that. Am I on the right track here?

Sorry, I got a little wordy there.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #202
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkstel View Post
Lee,

Yes I understand that if I were to increase the fermentables to exceed the tolerance of the yeast, some sugars will remain. However, I'd rather not have 9% ABV beer. Hence, why I designed this beer at 1.055. If I understand correctly, in the case of barley malt the wort consists of fermentable and nonfermentable sugars. After fermentation, the latter remain and give the beer body and a slightly sweet flavor (to be balanced by hops). It seems to me that chestnut wort lacks these nonfermentables. Which allows the yeast to metabolize all the sugars in a lower gravity beer, leaving no other sugars at the end for body and sweetness. Am I correct in this thinking? Is there anything we can add to the wort to compensate for this? Possibly maltodextrin or lactose. The malto I added improved the body but did little for the flavor. I assume lactose would help with that. Am I on the right track here?

Sorry, I got a little wordy there.
I would try lacto if I was you. I'll probably use malto for my next one but that's only because I already have it on hand.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #203
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanther13 View Post
I would try lacto if I was you. I'll probably use malto for my next one but that's only because I already have it on hand.
I usually use both maltodextrine and lactose in my beers.

www.noontimelabels.com

Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #204
mrkstel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noontime View Post
I usually use both maltodextrine and lactose in my beers.
What proportion of each do you use? I was thinking about using a 50/50 split on my next batch?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #205
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I usually use 8oz of maltodextrine in a 5 gallon batch for body, cant give you an example with lactose though. I think it's to taste- take a few oz of beer and add an amount of malto until you get the desired sweetness then ramp it up to the full volume of your beer.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #206
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I usually do 5oz of each. I'm going to ramp up the malto to 8oz next time.

www.noontimelabels.com

Old 07-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #207
opm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

G'day all
it's been about 10 weeks since i bottled my test batch (3ltrs using fresh chestnuts from my uncles farm, chipped with a food prosesor and roasted in the oven)
i took a couple bottles to a shin-dig my girlfriends family have every year and had a little tasting session with her father and uncle (who are both home brewers as well) along with a dozen or so other beers. (good night)

color: a good amber brown, slightly darker than your standard draught.
clarity: slightly cloudy
head: about half a finger
taste: a clean crisp flavor with a slightly acidic after taste. (good in the summer after a bit of gardening etc)

i call it a successful test. next easter i plan on picking enough to do at least 50Lt keg

Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #208
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default GF extract brew?

Hey Matt,

I hope this question doesn't insult your craft, but do you have any advice about Gluten-Free extract brewing? I'm living in Japan and have not yet gotten into AG brews (though I plan to in the Spring, when I move to CA).

My buddy is coming to visit in a couple months, so I realized I need to get on the ball with ordering some ingredients, brewing, and having time to ferment/condition before he arrives.

Where should I start?

Thanks!

Brett

PS Hopefully the fact that I'm a Boston fan by marriage helps cancel out asking an AG brewer for Extract advice!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #209
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
Hey Matt,

I hope this question doesn't insult your craft, but do you have any advice about Gluten-Free extract brewing? I'm living in Japan and have not yet gotten into AG brews (though I plan to in the Spring, when I move to CA).

My buddy is coming to visit in a couple months, so I realized I need to get on the ball with ordering some ingredients, brewing, and having time to ferment/condition before he arrives.

Where should I start?

Thanks!

Brett

PS Hopefully the fact that I'm a Boston fan by marriage helps cancel out asking an AG brewer for Extract advice!
This is a great place to start, lots of information about extracts for gluten free brewing: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/glu...t-list-172558/

Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #210
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
Hey Matt,

Where should I start?

Thanks!

Brett

And you can find some ingredients in the "Gluten Free Brewing" thread or in the drop-downs of some of the people who post in those threads. Get some sorghum syrup, some yeast that is gf and some hops and you're in good shape.