Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Brewing with Chestnuts

Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #171
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
I was thinking of doing a porter or stout with the dark roasted chestnut chips. What hops would work best? Any different sugars I should use?

Thanks
Talked to a 20 vet of home brew. He said hops are still a matter of taste. Just don't OVER-HOP with Porters and Stouts. He said brown sugers and other dark carbs will change flavor.

leeinwa

Old 05-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #172
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've made a stout with malted buckwheat, and unmalted millet. It turned out jet black but with severe burnt coffee flavour. I'm letting this age now in the hopes that it will mellow.

The trick to getting the colour right is roasting your grain till its really dark. This is kind of trial and error as I think I over roasted mine which gave it the burnt coffee taste.

I used fuggles and east kent goldings.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:45 AM   #173
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I still have a lot of chestnuts in my fridge that I want to peel and freeze before they go off.

I have found that if you boil them for about 10-15 minutes, the inside goes all crumbly and comes out really easy.

Do you think this boiling will affect the chestnuts at all? I boil them before I add the amylase anyway so I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #174
Leeinwa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
I still have a lot of chestnuts in my fridge that I want to peel and freeze before they go off.

I have found that if you boil them for about 10-15 minutes, the inside goes all crumbly and comes out really easy.

Do you think this boiling will affect the chestnuts at all? I boil them before I add the amylase anyway so I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Take those surplus nuts and put them in a Seal-A-Meal vaccum pack and freeze them until you need them. Don't cook them first. They lose a little texture quality but will keep for a year or so. DON"T just freeze them or they will freezer burn.

leeinwa

Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #175
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Lee, will do.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #176
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So after my epic chestnut failure a few months ago I am going to get back on the horse and do another. This time I'm going to use sorghum syrup instead of just corn sugar as my other fermentable and hope it doesn't over attenuate. I'm going to do a pale ale.

*5 Gallons*

5lbs Light Roasted Chestnut Chips
6lbs Sorghum Syrup

2oz East Kent Goldings (60min)
1oz East Kent Goldings (30min)
1oz East Kent Goldings (1min)

Danstar Nottingham Yeast

Does this sound like it could make a decent beer? I don't have any calculators to figure out the IBUs on it so if someone could run those numbers for me that would be awesome. Also, how long do sorghum beers take to age to get rid of their off flavors?

Old 05-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #177
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanther13 View Post
So after my epic chestnut failure a few months ago I am going to get back on the horse and do another. This time I'm going to use sorghum syrup instead of just corn sugar as my other fermentable and hope it doesn't over attenuate. I'm going to do a pale ale.

*5 Gallons*

5lbs Light Roasted Chestnut Chips
6lbs Sorghum Syrup

2oz East Kent Goldings (60min)
1oz East Kent Goldings (30min)
1oz East Kent Goldings (1min)

Danstar Nottingham Yeast

Does this sound like it could make a decent beer? I don't have any calculators to figure out the IBUs on it so if someone could run those numbers for me that would be awesome. Also, how long do sorghum beers take to age to get rid of their off flavors?
I don't know what style you're going for, or just how much gravity you are going to get from the chestnuts, but it sounds like this is going to be a fairly big beer.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #178
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I said in the post I was aiming for a pale ale but if you think it will be big I can always half the sorghum and go for a smaller beer.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #179
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanther13 View Post
Well I said in the post I was aiming for a pale ale but if you think it will be big I can always half the sorghum and go for a smaller beer.
Don't know how I missed that pale ale part.
That amount of sorghum should net you an initial gravity of 1.044. In a previous post, someone mentions that 2.2 lbs of raw, whole chestnuts in .8 gallons of water gave him a gravity of 1.017, (removing as much of the shells as he could left him with .8 lbs). So, if your chestnuts are whole, you should get a gravity of 1.009 from the chestnuts (assuming you get the same conversion % he did.)

Old 05-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #180
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My chestnuts will be the chipped kind from Lee. I'll just go with 3lbs of Sorghum syrup, and keep the 5lbs of chestnut chips.