Long Primary Ferm & Cold Crashing Schedule - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Long Primary Ferm & Cold Crashing Schedule

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Doc Robinson
 
Doc Robinson's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 2,354
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts



After trial...and mostly error, I have decided to be more patient and subscribe to the "Long Primary" school of thought. I've vowed to leave my beers in the primary for no less than 21 days.

For those of you who cold crash at the end of a long primary, do you count the cold crashed days in your Primary Fermenation schedule, or do you consider that another step? Is the yeast still "cleaning up" when cold crashing or does that process stop?

I have a beer that has been sitting in primary for 18 days and I plan to keg it on Saturday (day 23), force carb it, and condition it in the keg for 2 weeks. Should I start cold crashing it now?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
android
 
android's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,062
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts


personally, i add on for the cold crash. normally it doesn't last more than 3 days for me, sometimes even less. they may still clean up for the first 12 hours or so, but i would guess that by the time you have them at refrigeration temps (especially for ales), they're not doing much.

i think you'd be fine to start cold crashing the beer. i normally do 14 days in primary unless something weird is happening, but that's just me.
__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Doc Robinson
 
Doc Robinson's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 2,354
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
personally, i add on for the cold crash. normally it doesn't last more than 3 days for me, sometimes even less. they may still clean up for the first 12 hours or so, but i would guess that by the time you have them at refrigeration temps (especially for ales), they're not doing much.

i think you'd be fine to start cold crashing the beer. i normally do 14 days in primary unless something weird is happening, but that's just me.
Do you use a secondary or do you crash after 14 and then bottle/keg?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 50,813
Liked 3450 Times on 3275 Posts


Cold crashing causes the yeast to go dormant. That's why you cold cash. They will not be doing anything once chilled. This allows them to drop out of suspension and is the reason for cold crashing. Leave in primary for 21 days, then cold crash for 3 days
I primary for a month, Chill overnight and add gelatin and let sit 2-3 more days cold. Then rack my clear goodness to keg.
__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Doc Robinson
 
Doc Robinson's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 2,354
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Cold crashing causes the yeast to go dormant. That's why you cold cash. They will not be doing anything once chilled. This allows them to drop out of suspension and is the reason for cold crashing. Leave in primary for 21 days, then cold crash for 3 days
I primary for a month, Chill overnight and add gelatin and let sit 2-3 more days cold. Then rack my clear goodness to keg.
How do you carb your kegs? If you force, do you let the kegs sit for further conditioning after they are carbed? If not, I guess you "set & forget", and if so, how long does it usually take to carb up?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
android
 
android's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,062
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Robinson View Post
Do you use a secondary or do you crash after 14 and then bottle/keg?
crash after 14 days, then keg... but i also find that a good amount of crashing occurs if you are going to keg condition. yes, you'll lose a pint or so to yeast and other debris, but if you don't happen to have time for the cold crash, IMHO it ain't a huge deal.

i've been setting & forgetting and it usually takes about 7 days for things to carb up and i like to carb it up and let it condition as it happens so i can sample as time goes by.
__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Denny's Evil Concoctions's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
West Kelowna BC, Canada
Posts: 7,733
Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts


I just filter.
__________________
I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Doc Robinson
 
Doc Robinson's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 2,354
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
I just filter.
I'll filter you sucka!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOw long for primary ferm? Izzoard Cider Forum 5 10-26-2009 10:31 AM
Cold crashing/cold aging Big10Seaner Bottling/Kegging 4 08-05-2009 07:32 PM
Long primary then cold crashing in keg question Brocster General Techniques 3 04-28-2009 05:10 AM
Cold-crashing in primary... outdoors uncleozzy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 11-19-2008 05:22 PM
cold crashing in primary roth_nj Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 07-08-2008 10:34 PM


Forum Jump