Some fun BEER history - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Some fun BEER history

Old 01-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Nor*Cal
Liked 960 Times on 679 Posts

Beer History
The Babylonians loved beer so much that if you served a watered-down batch, your punishment was to be drowned in it.

When the monks in the Middle Ages fasted, they were still allowed to pound a few beers. However, each monk was limited to just five quarts of beer a day. (The monastery must have its limits, right?)

The Pilgrims on the Mayflower stopped at Plymouth Rock rather than continuing on to Virginia because they were running out of beer. What's more, while there wasn't any cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin pie to eat at the first Thanksgiving... we know for a fact that there was beer.

The Vikings drank so much beer before battles that they sometimes forgot to put their armor on — or their shirts. In fact, we can thank the bare-chested antics of the Vikings for the phrase "to go berserk." The Norse translation for berserk is bare shirt.

What's more: according to Norse mythology, the Vikings believed that a giant goat whose udders provided an endless supply of beer was waiting for them in Valhalla.

It is believed that beer was one of the provisions Noah placed on the ark. (Come to think of it, if I'd known what Noah knew... beer would have been at the top of the list.)

If an ancient Egyptian gentleman offered a lady a sip of his beer, they were considered betrothed.

George Washington was a devout beer lover and stopped off at the old Bull's Head Tavern for a sud when New York was finally evacuated in 1783. In fact, his ragtag group of rebels in the Revolutionary Army received daily rations of a quart of beer.

If you collect beer bottles, you're a labeorphilist. And, if you collect beer coasters, then you're a tegestologist.

Arnold of Soissons (ca. 1040 — 1087) is the patron saint of brewing. He encouraged the locals to drink beer instead of water due to its health benefits. He is also considered the patron saint of hop pickers because of the region in which he preached. Hops originated in Brabant region of Belgium; Belgians reportedly sent the first hops to England for use in making beer. No wonder they made him a saint!

A British man who was the victim of a car accident sued the other driver, claiming he had lost his ability to taste beer as a result of his injuries. The judge agreed that this was a "great loss" and awarded the man $14,076.

And finally, if you're a serious beer lover, you may suffer from a condition known as cenosillicaphobia, the fear of an empty (beer) glass.

I am a cenosillicaphobia
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
brewmonk
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Sharon,MA
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

fun stuff, thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Baja_Brewer

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Rhode Island
Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Beer History

If you collect beer bottles, you're a labeorphilist. And, if you collect beer coasters, then you're a tegestologist.

And finally, if you're a serious beer lover, you may suffer from a condition known as cenosillicaphobia, the fear of an empty (beer) glass.
Thanks a bunch Jay, now I can tell people in bars that I'm a tegestologist with a severe case of cenosillicaphobia!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4846 Times on 3265 Posts

I'd like to know where they came up with the idea that Noah put beer on the Ark...

I mean, it's a great story and all, but if this was mentioned in the Bible, I suspect that millions of beer lovers would have made that common knowledge by now. At least as many as those who think that Ben Franklin quoted beer as proof of God's love.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #5
Baja_Brewer

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Rhode Island
Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
At least as many as those who think that Ben Franklin quoted beer as proof of God's love.
Ahhh yes, Ben Franklin.... one of my favorite (mis)quotes of all time.... I have started many an argument over that one.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
jgbrown
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Tucson, AZ

I thought the amount was 5 liters.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
HomelessWook
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i always heard the Vikings ate mushrooms and tripped before and during battles...

i guess if you get a bunch of spun brutish males together their is bound to be beer drinking.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #8
HomelessWook
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i enjoyed all of those as did my girlfriend - so thanks, btw