Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Time here.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:44 AM   #1
MaltyRod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Time here.

Howdy, I had been contemplating starting my own homebrewing now for a couple years but never took the leap, I always would spy the MrBeer kits from afar and ponder the wonders of it, but thankfully moved next door to a neighbor that had a real homebrew kit, so eventually I moseyed over to the Local Homebrew beer and wine shop and picked me up a $150 kit that came with two glass carboys and all the beer fixins, they let me swap the pale ale Malt syrup with an Amber syrup since I like my beers a little darker. The kit only cost me a new bed frame (fiance said if I get a beer kit then she gets something too )

Questions:

My kit came with 2- 5 gallon glass carboys which doesnt leave much room for the initial fermentation so they use a blowout tube method into a sanitized solution jar for the first few days and then attatch the fermentation lock, is this method okay or should I save up for a 6 gallon Primary fermenter carboy?

My beer took off fermenting like a rabbit after the first 10 hours in the carboy or so, and I saw lots of bubbling in the blowout jar. after putting on the fermentation lock the bubbling was still pretty good but by today (batch was started 7-15 night) it has a bubble go out maybe every 5 seconds is this about average?

My instructions say to transfer my batch over to a secondary fermenter 4-6 days from beginning, is this about the average?

Sorry if I sound too inquisitive just want to do this right.

Thanks Rod

Old 07-19-2005, 03:54 AM   #2
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds like you're on track! I think your HBS kinda rooked you by giving you two 5 gal carboys, though. There's nothing wrong with using a 5gal/blowoff for primary, really, but it makes a lot more sense to start off with something with capacity to handle a big primary fermentation (i.e. a 6.5gal carboy). And if they're worth their salt they know that, too.

But, you're off and running. Sounds like you're instructions are OK. I'd give it a week before racking, just because. It's good to use sensible chunks of time for your first couple batches....it'll help you get a better feel for what's going on.

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum!
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 07-19-2005, 04:04 AM   #3
MaltyRod
Recipes 

Thanks Sam, My second batch will for sure have that 6.5 Carboy involved in it, I figure I can never have too many carboys. especially since i'm planning on experimenting with Mead and Wine later on.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:25 AM   #4
DuallyBrew
Recipes 

Welcome! I've only been here a short time myself. First batch is only 16 hours or so in the fermenter... but the information here has been a huge help.

Keep reading and brewing and coming back!
Heifeweizen - brewed 7/30/05 - bottled 8/13/05

Check out my Labels and Pics here...

Old 07-19-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
AlaskaAl(e)
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltyRod
Thanks Sam, My second batch will for sure have that 6.5 Carboy involved in it, I figure I can never have too many carboys. especially since i'm planning on experimenting with Mead and Wine later on.

You're absolutely right, you can never go wrong with more carboys. The way I see it it's better to have the larger ones that you don't have to worry about space. The 5G are great for secondaries though so I think you're about set once you get one or two more biggun's.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Welcome Malty,

My books say rack to secondary when the main fizzy pancacke of yeast disappears... it's really obvious... you go from fluff and foam to scummy-looking pond-water, an then it's time! But a day or two extra isn't going to hurt... that thing will be pumping co2 and keeping itself clean for days.

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 07-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #7
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltyRod
The kit only cost me a new bed frame (fiance said if I get a beer kit then she gets something too )
Why is it that when men buy something they want it is always something cool like a beer kit, but when women want something it is always something lame like a peice of furniture. Where are all the women that want beer kits too! That is the type of woman I want to find.

On second thought, I wouldn't want my girl drinking all my beer, and I sure as hell don't want to pick out furniture, so I guess the system works.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Where are all the women that want beer kits too!
they all disappeared somewhere between highschool and college. that's just a theory i'm working on though...but i think that once the women got us guys on the hook - there was no more need to be wild party gals any more.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

welcome aboard MaltyRod! as all have said, your on track and sounds like it's working good.

you'll like the 6.5 for your next batch. a little more room is nice, plus the glass carboys are much better for the brew (IMO).

i'd let the primary sit until the rocky head (krausen) has subsided. then rack it on over to the secondary for 7-10 days. or, purists will say to take a specific gravity readings to see when it's ready to transfer/bottle.

brew on!

Old 07-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #10
SpinDance
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Funny! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrck17
Why is it that when men buy something they want it is always something cool like a beer kit, but when women want something it is always something lame like a peice of furniture. Where are all the women that want beer kits too! That is the type of woman I want to find.

On second thought, I wouldn't want my girl drinking all my beer, and I sure as hell don't want to pick out furniture, so I guess the system works.
Huh! There you go generalizing. LOL! In my house I'm the one doing stuff like making beer, wine, cordials, cheese and such. Not all of us do that one-for-him-one-for-me.

I won't ever forget the look on the fellow who stocked our pond, though. He said that usually he deals with guys who are trying to get their wives to OK the stocking. I just told him "I _am_ the wife!"

Just racked the Cream Ale (and some Wildberry Shiraz) yesterday. It's fun to watch it clarify from the top down. The yeast trub went into the compost. Vitamins for the garden!

Primary -
Secondary - Chardonnay, Luna Mezza Red, Tomato Wine
Bottled:
Beer: LD's Birthday Imperial Stout, Trappist-style Ale, Honey Brown Ale, Uncanny Cream Ale, Red Ale, American Barley Wine, Belgian Ale, Belgian Abbey-style Ale
Wine: Dandelion, Strawberry, mint, sweet mint, potato, elderberry, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvingnon, Wildberry Shiraz, Gewurztraminer, Shiraz,
Viogner, Riesling
Cider, Piesporter
Up Next: Sangiovese, Uncanny Cream Ale, ice wine