Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Hopster Hopscreen
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #91
Biscostew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Annandale, NJ
Posts: 142
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

BSD would you mind listing the McMaster Carr parts numbers?


__________________
Check out my blog Lionheart Brewing for homebrew recipes other beer related thoughts or follow me on twitter @LionheartBeer
Biscostew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:10 AM   #92
BSD_Glass
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 201
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default part numbers

the mcmaster number is 85385T519 for the screen.

For the rivets, I bought close stainless rivets by arrow at my local hardware store.

the ring is Paderno World Cuisine 9 1/2 Inch by 3/4 Inch Tart Pastry Ring from amazon

I also needed a box of 100 #6 stainless washers to back the rivets going through the screen where there was no pastry ring.

I used (3) 6" by 1/4"-20 bolts I had laying around and some 1/4" nuts (2 per bolt) that I also had laying around.

I guess I also bought a 1/8" and a 3/8 cobalt bit for various stainless drilling projects and used those on this project.

Cheers. I'm trying mine out Friday. 20 ounces of hops in a 10 gallon batch. Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Nugget all whole leaf. I'll throw in some Amarillo pellets to sub for the pearl leaf I used last time and to test it against pellets.

I'll take pics.

BSD


BSD_Glass is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #93
BSD_Glass
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 201
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Hopster in use!

I used the screen yesterday in a 11 gallon heavy hop IPA. There were 12 ounces of leaf hops and 2 ounces of pellet hops.

With this full kettle of wort, I think I had over 4 gallons of space inside the hopster for stuff to move around. I had about 13 gallons pre-boil.

The hops were almost fully contained. I couldn't see ANY green in the protein and stuff left at the bottom of the keggle. The screen drained wort at the same rate as the rest of the kettle. I didn't have the amount of movement I would prefer in the screen after I added hops, but there was some movement. For the last 20 minutes, I recirculated through the screen to make sure I got good utilization on my later additions.

Clean up was easy. Dump the hops and spray it out.

I'm pretty pleased and think this is going to work out for a long time.

BSD
Click image for larger version

Name:	kettle_trub.JPG
Views:	1360
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	39746   Click image for larger version

Name:	first_hops1.JPG
Views:	1707
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	39747   Click image for larger version

Name:	draining_hops.JPG
Views:	1351
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	39748  
BSD_Glass is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #94
jusware
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: helena, Montana
Posts: 140
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

That my good man is a thing of beauty! PS: that's the same thing the ladies tell me
jusware is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #95
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , New York
Posts: 4,266
Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

So it looks like we still haven't nailed down the mesh size for all pellet IPA brews. If people have please let me know, I am looking at doing a full sized pot liner. Making an entire basket to line the kettle. More surface area and a free boil. Also Will accommodate my immersion chiller. Will be $$ for the mesh, but worth it I think...
__________________
Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info
CidahMastah is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #96
Sudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OKC America
Posts: 302
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
So it looks like we still haven't nailed down the mesh size for all pellet IPA brews. If people have please let me know, I am looking at doing a full sized pot liner. Making an entire basket to line the kettle. More surface area and a free boil. Also Will accommodate my immersion chiller. Will be $$ for the mesh, but worth it I think...
My 30 x 30 x .012 appears to keep the pellet hops contained. There was still a significant amount of trub to deal with but no green to be seen and the basket did have a fair amount of hop debris in it when done. No concern about utilization since the wort within the screen was very active during the boil.

The results are in the bottle as we speak. This is the clearest brew I've made in the three years I've been brewing. And this is specifically the fourth batch of this particular brew. I was puzzled by this since there was basically the same amount of trub left behind. Had my doubts about the contribution of the hop spider but not so sure now.

What "may" be occurring is the whirlfloc might be more effective with clearing the protein debris than the hop material. Anyway the brew is mighty clear and I'm anxious to taste the results. A taste of the green brew was very encouraging... A couple of weeks will tell the tale.
Sudz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #97
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , New York
Posts: 4,266
Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
My 30 x 30 x .012 appears to keep the pellet hops contained. There was still a significant amount of trub to deal with but no green to be seen and the basket did have a fair amount of hop debris in it when done. No concern about utilization since the wort within the screen was very active during the boil.

The results are in the bottle as we speak. This is the clearest brew I've made in the three years I've been brewing. And this is specifically the fourth batch of this particular brew. I was puzzled by this since there was basically the same amount of trub left behind. Had my doubts about the contribution of the hop spider but not so sure now.

What "may" be occurring is the whirlfloc might be more effective with clearing the protein debris than the hop material. Anyway the brew is mighty clear and I'm anxious to taste the results. A taste of the green brew was very encouraging... A couple of weeks will tell the tale.
Maybe I will run with the 30 30 size you have. I made the hop stopper with 3030 I think, but it dodn't stand up to the test IMO. However I do 11G batches and so I guessed that I needed a large hop stopper. Then I thought... maybe the best way to do this is make a full liner for my pot. i.e. 20 diameter x 15 tall so it sits on my element. It might be cost prohibitive, but I am going to look into it.

I will also have to reinforce it etc. to make sure the end product is usable. I have also considered do two stage mesh basket but cost would be $$
__________________
Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info
CidahMastah is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #98
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dog House Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 996
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I agree with the 30 x 30. It will filter the vast majority. I don't have the
30 x 30, I'm 20 x 20 can't remember. I love the way it works. No problems what so ever! I wish I had made one that was a full diameter of the kettle instead of 10". One of the top 5 pieces of equipment I've made or purchased. Post back if you do the build and give us your feedback CidahMastah.
__________________
Are You Going to Drink all That?
Dog House Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #99
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , New York
Posts: 4,266
Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
I agree with the 30 x 30. It will filter the vast majority. I don't have the
30 x 30, I'm 20 x 20 can't remember. I love the way it works. No problems what so ever! I wish I had made one that was a full diameter of the kettle instead of 10". One of the top 5 pieces of equipment I've made or purchased. Post back if you do the build and give us your feedback CidahMastah.
I definitely will (post if I build one). I missed this becasue I found a steal of a deal on a 60 amp GFI breaker. So my focus when from hopscreen to ... upgrading my control panel so I can run two elements simultaneously!! Just laid out and tacked in the #6AL wiring this morning to my new indoor subpanel. Hoping I will be wired up for indoor brewing by the end of the xmas break!
__________________
Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info
CidahMastah is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #100
ultravista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 2,121
Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

What is the cost of constructing this thing?


ultravista is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS