Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew Experience and Second Brew Recipe

Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
play_it_leo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew Experience and Second Brew Recipe

Greetings. Im new to the hobby although Ive been a craft brew enthusiast for years. I worked as a server at larger brew pub for about 5 years during college.

I thought I would post my experience on my first recipe and get some feedback on a recipe I plan on brewing this Saturday.

I brewed the Rogue Brutal Bitter kit on new years eve. Everything went smoothly except for a few missteps. When transferring to the fermenting bucket, I thought it would be a good idea to strain it through cheese cloth on top of a colander to remove the whole hop cones that were added at flame out. This was not a good idea, as it clogged almost immediately and I had to remove the cloth to get it to flow through the colander.

I pitched the Wyeast slap pack at 75 and fermentation started with in 24 hours.

It has been in the primary for two weeks, and I just took a reading and its at the target FG of 1.012. I took a taste and as expected it has a very hoppy aroma and a smooth mouth feel. I plan on letting it sit for another week and then bottle it next weekend.

Secondly, I am planning on brewing a stout this weekend in hopes it will be ready for Pattys day. Here is the recipe. I cobbled it together from some stout recipes here on the forum and other resources. I plugged it into iBrewmaster iPhone app. To get the stats. Let me know what you think. Any suggestions based on my planned recipe?

A few questions:
Will one vial of the yeast (given I do a starter) be enough?
What do you think about my hops? Enough, too much? I know stouts generally have a higher IBU to balance the malt and roasted flavors, but how accurate is this software at predicting the IBUs?
How should I handle the flaked barley? Can this steep?
Should I add the Amber DME first, and then add the Dark about at 15 min?

Style: Stout
Calories: 256
Type: Extract
IBU's: 56.43
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volume: 5 Gallons
Primary: 21 days @ 65F
Aging: 21 days @ 70F
Color:***32.9 SRM**
Est. Orig. Gravity:
Est Fin. Gravity:
Est. ABV: 7.34%
Grains & Adjuncts
1.00 lbs Crystal Malt - 90L
0.33 lbs Black (Patent) Malt
0.33 lbs Roasted Barley
0.50 lbs Barley, Flaked (For Head)
Steeped at 150 for 40 min

2.75 lbs Dark Dry Extract
5.00 lbs Amber Dry Extract
Hops
1.00 ozs Pearle - 60 mins
1.00 ozs Chinook - 60 mins

Yeasts
1.0 vile British Ale - White Labs WLP005
Notes
4 oz Cold toddy coffee added to half of the batch at bottling to create a coffee stout.

Thanks for looking.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1) 1 vial will be enough if you do the starter
2) If you go with the late add for the dark DME, I calculated the same IBUs the software gave you (if you do a 3 gallon boil). If you use balance value, it looks like you are in a good range for a stout, but I'm not sure how to compensate for the coffee: http://beercolor.netfirms.com/balance.html
3) If it's only in there for head, I think you can get what you need out of it just by steeping.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
play_it_leo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
. If you use balance value, it looks like you are in a good range for a stout, but I'm not sure how to compensate for the coffee: http://beercolor.netfirms.com/balance.html
Great link, although I just skimmed it, the info will no doubt be a valuable resource as my brewing progresses.

Thanks for the response.