Gravity Reading 1.006 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Gravity Reading 1.006

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
nowashburn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
southern jersey
Posts: 57
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts



has been in the fermenter for 10 days now. I dont have a secondary. Is this thing ready to siphon to the bottling bucket and bottle? My OG was about 1.060.

Also, I took a big wiff of the beer (not wort anymore, right?) and man is it overwhelming. It actually bought a tear to my eye. The gas smelled great coming out of the airlock all week and this completely threw me off. Is this normal?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Nurmey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,983
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts


Give it another week or two for the yeast to clean up off flavors and you will be ready to bottle.

You got a nose full of CO2 when you took your whiff. Don't do that, it hurts.
__________________
Batch 1 Brewing
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
hamiltont
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Posts: 873
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


You got a big wiff of CO2. Almost took your breath away huh. Been there. Done that. That's like 90% attenuation. Not real common for an extract. If it's still 1.006 tomorrow you should be good to go.

edit: Nurmey is right. I missed the 10 days. You want at least 2 weeks in the primary, 3 is better.
__________________
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
nowashburn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
southern jersey
Posts: 57
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
You got a big wiff of CO2. Almost took your breath away huh. Been there. Done that. That's like 90% attenuation. Not real common for an extract. If it's still 1.006 tomorrow you should be good to go.

edit: Nurmey is right. I missed the 10 days. You want at least 2 weeks in the primary, 3 is better.
haha, yeah, was kinda embarrassed to say it but it surely did take my breath away. actually got a little woosy!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
nowashburn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
southern jersey
Posts: 57
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
You got a big wiff of CO2. Almost took your breath away huh. Been there. Done that. That's like 90% attenuation. Not real common for an extract. If it's still 1.006 tomorrow you should be good to go.

edit: Nurmey is right. I missed the 10 days. You want at least 2 weeks in the primary, 3 is better.
also, why would it be uncommon for extracts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
hamiltont
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Posts: 873
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nowashburn View Post
also, why would it be uncommon for extracts?
Generally extracts are not as fermentable, and 90% is really up there. What temp did it ferment at & what yeast?
__________________
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
nowashburn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
southern jersey
Posts: 57
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
Generally extracts are not as fermentable, and 90% is really up there. What temp did it ferment at & what yeast?
the temperate in the house is 68 and i used safale us-05 dry yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
hamiltont
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Posts: 873
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Okay. 68 is a little high. You're might have developed some fusel alcohol because the beer temp was over 70 during the primary fermentation. You'll know when you taste it. It will have an alcohol burn & if you drink say 3, you'll get a good headache. Maybe a little ester too. Banana flavor/smell. You really won't know until a month or so from now. Try to keep the beer temp <65 next time if you can.
__________________
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #9
nowashburn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
southern jersey
Posts: 57
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
Okay. 68 is a little high. You're might have developed some fusel alcohol because the beer temp was over 70 during the primary fermentation. You'll know when you taste it. It will have an alcohol burn & if you drink say 3, you'll get a good headache. Maybe a little ester too. Banana flavor/smell. You really won't know until a month or so from now. Try to keep the beer temp <65 next time if you can.
that sucks, hopefully it's even drinkable.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 AM   #10
DavidSteel
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
IL
Posts: 1,068
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Don't do that, it hurts.
I loled pretty hard

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Take a Gravity Reading? sboro33 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 05-14-2012 03:22 AM
Gravity Reading Saxmk6 Mead Forum 4 04-11-2008 06:08 PM
After the Gravity Reading cglkaptc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 03-15-2008 12:12 AM
I know . . . take a gravity reading, but AnOldUR General Techniques 7 02-27-2008 12:06 PM
Help with my gravity reading. mrb Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 12-22-2007 03:50 PM


Forum Jump