blood orange mead?? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > blood orange mead??

Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #21
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Ann Arbor
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Fly, I bottled my test batch. I could have bottled 2 weeks after racking but I let it sit an extra week. I carbed with 1 tbsp of OB honey.

I also started a 6 gallon batch this weekend. My basement now smells like I screwdrivers! I uped the oranges by 1 a gallon to 5, so 30 total. It ended up being just under a half gallon of OJ.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #22
flyweed
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Nice...I am going to test sample a bottle of mine tonight I think. Can't wait.
On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Ann Arbor
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The big batch took a little longer to ferment, 3 weeks vs 2 for the gallon. I racked it off and added 2 cups of constant comment green tea (Bigelow) and a Madagascar Bourbon vanilla bean. 2 weeks later I looked under the towel and the bean is on the bottom and the mead is crystal clear! I am busy this weekend so I will rack it off and bottle it some time next week. I plan on using OB honey to carb with. The extra oranges really made the final mead a nice dark red color. It reminds me of a ruby. I think I am going to have to make this every Febuary-March when I see blood oranges hit the local stores.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
nicoharris
Recipes 

Feb 2009

Just racked my sweet mead onto blood oranges last night. I'm going to bottle it in some clear wine bottles which should look pretty sweet.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #25
Korben
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Memphis (Mud Island)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningInABottle View Post
Hey Fly, I bottled my test batch. I could have bottled 2 weeks after racking but I let it sit an extra week. I carbed with 1 tbsp of OB honey.

I also started a 6 gallon batch this weekend. My basement now smells like I screwdrivers! I uped the oranges by 1 a gallon to 5, so 30 total. It ended up being just under a half gallon of OJ.
Was that 1 tbsp for the entire gallon or one table spoon for each Grolsch bottle? I got a 1 gallon fermentor and plenty of bottles so bout as well do this...

Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #26
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Ann Arbor
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That was 1 Tbsp for the gallon. I have the link to the calculator on my computer at home. I used another calculator and it said to use twice as much, but I would rather under carb than have bottle bombs, so I went with the 1 Tbsp.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
Korben
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Memphis (Mud Island)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningInABottle View Post
That was 1 Tbsp for the gallon. I have the link to the calculator on my computer at home. I used another calculator and it said to use twice as much, but I would rather under carb than have bottle bombs, so I went with the 1 Tbsp.
What was the carb level with the 1 Tbsp? Were you satisfied?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #28
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Ann Arbor
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I plan on giving it another month to carb before I test them. So no results yet.