Name Trademark/patent? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Name Trademark/patent?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
JaePee
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Maryland
Posts: 7


I am sure this has been posted (tried finding it w/ search but no luck) but I was curious if anyone could steer me in the right direction on how to trademark your homebrews brand name? I am not even sure if this is possible w/out it being for sale? I have been just making my home labels when I give it to friends and stuff but I don't want to lose my name. Thanks in advance. JP



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
tpgsr
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
NY
Posts: 59

http://www.ehow.com/how_2180195_trademark-a-name.html



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,149
Liked 1622 Times on 1050 Posts


Put a "TM" after the name. If you find that someone is trying to use the name, you have to take action and prove that you were there first. If they don't cease use, you have to take them to court. Hmm, not really worth it at the homebrew level for something you're not making money on.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
BIAB Large Mesh False Bottoms and SS HERMS COILS are IN!!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
JaePee
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Maryland
Posts: 7

True. Very good point. Thanks for the replies though. JP

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Nickeldeposit
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 268
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts


you're taking brewing way to serious. just have fun
__________________
Torrent Brewing Company

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
brewmonk
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Sharon,MA
Posts: 1,093
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


jess have an effen beeeee-AH!!!!

The musician's cheap way (pronounced P-O-O-R) of doing this is to mail yourself a copy of the score (or label). File it away, and whenever it is opened for legal reasons, it is in front of a Notary Public, blah blah blah.

Now, go have dat Beeeee-AH!!!!
__________________
-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
commonlaw
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
culver city
Posts: 180
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


generally a trademark has to be used in commerce for it to mean anything. the point of a trademark is to identify the origin of a specific product or service. Tons of info at http://www.uspto.gov/web/trademarks/workflow/start.htm and the various links. Wikipedia also has a good description. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

I'd be curious to know whether distributing as homebrew counts as use in commerce, and whether various alcohol laws would get in the way.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
BigB
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 1,757
Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
generally a trademark has to be used in commerce for it to mean anything. the point of a trademark is to identify the origin of a specific product or service. Tons of info at http://www.uspto.gov/web/trademarks/workflow/start.htm and the various links. Wikipedia also has a good description. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

I'd be curious to know whether distributing as homebrew counts as use in commerce, and whether various alcohol laws would get in the way.
A trademark DOES have to be used in commerce and the only thing you can get out of registering the trademark is the right to exclude others AFTER registration from using. Now, even if you register it and someone else is using it in the registered area (State or Federal Registration) prior to you registering, you will have NO basis to contest thier use.
__________________
I love the sound of an airlock bubbling in the morning. It sounds like.....VICTORY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
BigB
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 1,757
Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Put a "TM" after the name. If you find that someone is trying to use the name, you have to take action and prove that you were there first. If they don't cease use, you have to take them to court. Hmm, not really worth it at the homebrew level for something you're not making money on.
Sorry Bobby, you should ONLY use "TM" to indicate a REGISTERED trademark. DO NOT USE 'TM' if you have not registered your trademark.

EDIT: This reply was unclear. You should only use 'R" if its registered with the Feds. I suggest not using TM unless you have at least registered it with the state (if allowed) and/or you actually use the trademark in commerce.
__________________
I love the sound of an airlock bubbling in the morning. It sounds like.....VICTORY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reason: Clarification

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
commonlaw
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
culver city
Posts: 180
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Sorry Bobby, you should ONLY use "TM" to indicate a REGISTERED trademark. DO NOT USE 'TM' if you have not registered your trademark.
Isn't a registered mark? I think a is for an unregistered mark. I can't imagine it helps or hurts to put a on something like homebrew.

I agree with your other post.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
breckenridge trademark pale ale clone makapol Recipes/Ingredients 8 12-10-2008 02:56 PM
Black Patent maltMonkey Recipes/Ingredients 22 04-17-2008 01:23 AM
Altbier Black Patent Alt uwmgdman Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 04-04-2007 05:15 PM
How Much Black Patent? Turricaine Recipes/Ingredients 2 08-26-2005 03:47 PM


Forum Jump