Midwest Grand Cru - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Midwest Grand Cru

Old 01-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
verotik
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Arkansas

A few questions here. This is my 2nd brew. This one used DME rather than LME. First thing i did different with this one was use a nylon bag to boil my hops in. Amazing how much cleaner the wort is when i transferred it. It has been bubbling away for 2 days now and has an amazing smell. It almost smells like banana bread.

Anyway, this kit basically, like i said, used 2 bags (6#) DME, a bottle of honey (2# i think). I added Brewvint boost from AHB, as well as the yeast nutrient pill from AHB. I also added SuperMoss, but i had a brainfart and didnt shake it up in water per the directions, i just tossed it. Also, this kit included corriander seed (which i crushed) and orange peel. I added it to the nylon bag at the instructed time. After reading some of these threads, i have seen people add the orange peel and corriander either in the primary or secondary.

1. Will the SuperMoss still work even though i didn't shake it up in water? I did whirlpool the wort the last 5 mins of the boil as it said.

2. Will the corriander and orange peel flavor still come through or should i add some when i transfer to the secondary?

3. I pitched the yeast at 65*, on the 2nd full day of fermentation, it's still bubbling away but the temp has slowly climbed to 76*. I used the Safbrew S-33 yeast. Is that where i'm getting the banana smell?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
wing-it
Recipes 

Jun 2009
WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by verotik View Post
3. I pitched the yeast at 65*, on the 2nd full day of fermentation, it's still bubbling away but the temp has slowly climbed to 76*. I used the Safbrew S-33 yeast. Is that where i'm getting the banana smell?
Max temp for that yeast is 72, so yeah that could be where the smell is coming from.