Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Adding Salts POST Fermentation

Old 01-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #11
Mr. Mojo Rising
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My grandpa used to add salt to his beer and said it made it taste better. Baking Soda increases alkalinity AND adds salt. Maybe there is something to it. Grandpa drank a lot of beer!

15 Gal Conical - The Three Nobles-German Pils
Secondary - The Comrade-Imperial Russian Stout
Tap 1 - The Goodness-APA
Tap 2 - The Unicorn-Honey Nut Brown
Tap 3 - The Blarney-Irish Red

Old 01-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Table salt will reduce the bitterness of the beer. This is a big part of what salt does in cooking. For a fun experiment, taste some tonic water, then lick a bunch of salt and re-taste the tonic water. With enough salt you can totally negate the bitterness of the quinine and then you'll realize just how much sugar is in the tonic water.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 08-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #13
Smellyglove
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Has anyone else tried to add salts post fermentation?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm in a bit of a hurry (not good) to serve a keg of IPA. It was supposed to be very bitter, but tasting it one day prior to start of CC it's too bitter, or, to CaSo4-ish to be more correct. I don't know what the hell happened there. I checked my scale with a coin and it's right on. It's not much, but a little, which is to much..

I've added CaCl and CaSo4 to glasses of beer to see what happens, and a lot happens. So I guess the same will happen in a keg if I scale the addition correctly. But I've never blended CaCl and CaSo4.

I want to add CaCl to "remove" some of that dryness/bitterness/asringency the CaSo4 has given the beer. If I do it, can I **** up badly with the added Calcium?

Old 08-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #14
mabrungard

Recipes 

Liked 344 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellyglove View Post

I want to add CaCl to "remove" some of that dryness/bitterness/asringency the CaSo4 has given the beer. If I do it, can I **** up badly with the added Calcium?
I don't expect that adding CaCl is going to substantially improve the perceptions in that beer. Adjusting the ratio does not do that. If the water already had a lot of sulfate in it, adding more chloride is more likely to just create minerally flavor and not maltiness.
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-...?ref=bookmarks

Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #15
ajdelange
Recipes 

Liked 1076 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Adding chloride will sweeten the beer. This may improve its overall desirability. Try adding chloride as either the sodium or calcium salts and go with whichever is best. What have you got to lose?

Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #16
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 6059 Times on 5223 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I see people do this all the time, with a variety of beers but they are usually BMC drinkers.