Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Mead

Old 02-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
WheresOurFish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRabidKumquat View Post
I've had to backsweeten a couple of citrus meads that went dry. Was way to tart/bitter, and that seemed to accentuate the burn.
I just checked in on my batch of Pineapple/Ginger mead last night to get an SG, and it was like that. The heat hit first, then the dryness (SG= .996), then a bit of bitterness, and finished with a yeastie backbone. Mind you it was only born on 1/27, so I expect it will mellow with age, and I'll check it in another couple months before deciding how much to tinker with the flavor.

So yeah, give it a little time before you start to monkey with it too much, otherwise you can inadvertantly overcompensate

Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1579 Times on 953 Posts
Likes Given: 4102

Montrachet yeast is pretty sneaky when it comes to visual signs of fermentation, it can be fermenting away & hardly give any indications that it's doing anything. Trust your hydrometer. If you haven't taken those cloves out yet, I'd do that pretty soon, cloves can be pretty powerfull & 2 in 2 gallons is a lot. You might want to take the cinnamon sticks out too, 2 sticks seems like a lot for a 2 gallon batch, though maybe you really like a lot of clove & cinnamon. I think this will likely take at least a year of aging till it's good, maybe more. Regards, GF.