Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Working with flaked oats
Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Working with flaked oats

I'm going to be brewing an oatmeal stout in a couple days, but I remember reading somewhere that you can't put the oats in with the rest of the mash. Is this true? If so, should I just steep the oats after collecting the wort in the kettle?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Adding oats to the mash will slow your run-off, nothing that a couple handfuls of rice hulls can't alleviate. Flaked oats are fine to add to the mash, they are similar to instant oatmeal, if I'm not mistaken they have been gelatinized so they need no further cooking, which makes them okay in the mash.

follow me @ Broken Glass Brewery

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box
Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts

In order to conevert starches, they must be soluble in water (gelatanized). Luckily, barley and wheat gelatinizes at mash temperatures. Grains like oats, corn and rice gelatinize at higher temps. When using regular forms of these adjuncts, something called a cereal mash is required. All that really means is that the grains need to be cooked, or boiled.

Luckily for us, flaked versions of these adjuncts exist. You can add flaked grains directly to the mash. During the "flaking" process, grains are sent through heated rollers. The rollers instantly gelatinize the starches. Most recipes call for flaked oats. You can also find them as quick, or instant oats in the grocery store.

Here is what Palmer says: Other Grain adjuncts
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts

Raw oats (oatmeal) has to be cooked. Flaked oats and quick oatmeals are pre-cooked and go straight into your mash. Do not use instant oatmeal, unless it is free of additives like salt or sugar.
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk