Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > fill level?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default fill level?

When bottling does it matter how far up the neck you fill the bottle(halfway/top/bottom of neck)? Does it have any effect on carbonation or lack there of? I just finished bottling my first batch of gluten free beer (rice syrups, buckwheat/quinoa I malted myself, hops) and tried a little of as I was bottling. The good news is it tasted great, the bad news was i had already started bottling when the thought popped into my head that I did not know whether fill level mattered.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:18 AM   #2
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You want about an inch from the top to the beer. The nice thing about a filling wand is that when you pull it out of the bottle, it leaves the right amount of headspace.

I may have this backwards, but too much beer can give you over carbonation. Too little beer can give you gysers

Can you post the GF recipe? I have a friend who is celiac. I'd like to try brewing her a batch someday.
Planning: Agave Witbock, Raisin Beer
Primary: GF Hazelnut Stout
Tertiary: Cranberry-Pom pLambic (est. bottle date: 03/01/08)
Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think sugar content has lots more to do with geysers/ not geysers than fill level. Lessee, you want to card by 2-3 volumes of CO2, an inch of neck +/- would be 5% more or less gas in the beer instead of in the neck?

I've always filled to within an inch, per Papazian. I hate bartenders that don't give you a full glass. I bought the big diameter bottling wand, it's faster. It would leave the whole neck empty if I didn't top off by touching the wand to the inside of the neck.
So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"