Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick question... ideal brew kettle size for extract brewing?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Leisure Master
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Quick question... ideal brew kettle size for extract brewing?

Hey all... i'm getting set up again for some brewing. When I was living overseas I had a hard time finding gear... so just made due with what I could find.

I'm back in Canada now... and can get pretty much anything I want.

I'm shopping for a brew kettle for making some tasty extract brews.

Whats the ideal size in your opinion? The bigger the better?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
whatisitgoodfor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For stovetop, two to two and a half gallons boiling is fairly typical, so a 12 quart kettle is fairly nice for that.

Bigger is better though. If you can manage full boils reasonably you won't need nearly as many hops for the flavor you want.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

get a turkey fryer set up if you can, with a 30 qt pot. Allows for full boils with extract, AND opens the possibility of making a smooth transition into all-grain if you want to down the road.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I use a 15.5 gallon keggle on a turkey fryer burner for extract, partial mash & BIAB all grain brews. So I would second the turkey fryer, and also recommend some weldless fittings to make your life easier.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
whoneedsabeer
Recipes 

I started out asking myself the same question.

After reading a bunch on here, and other places decided I wanted to go full boils, even with extract kits. Looking around for Stainless Steel pots of that size was a bit expensive. So I started looking for kegs. I was able to get a keg for free, and a used turkey fryer for only $25. I took all that money I saved and invested in a march pump, silicone hose, brass quick disconnects, thermometers, weldless fittings and a sight glass.

So much for being thrifty...but at least now I can easily transition to AG and do 10 gallon batches. My philosophy is, buy what you need now and for the near future, with hopes of not needing to upgrade.

Good luck!
Jay

Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 214

I also use a keggle and turkey fryer, add an immersion chiller and a converted cooler and you are ready for all grain if you choose to go that way down the road

Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Leisure Master
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good advice guys.... thanks!