I'm concerned about getting an infection in my beer - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I'm concerned about getting an infection in my beer

Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
JoeMama

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I dont know if this is a rational thought or not, but Ive been becoming more and more concerned with infecting my own beer. Normally my brewdays go off without a hitch, fermentation is a lazy process (for me) and it goes into the keg for aging with no issues. Upon sipping my first pour, I realize how yummy my beer is, but as I set the glass back down my fears start getting the better of me.

The beer came into contact with the 2nd dirtiest part of my body - my mouth. And Im sure that some of my bacterias and whatnot have made their way back into my beer glass and are trying to work their magic between swigs. But thats the problem too. Everytime I take a drink, I infect my beer even more. Throw in the fact that it goes down to my nasty cesspool of a stomach, and gets mixed with other bacterias... Man, my beer never had a chance. It makes me rather sad really. Knowing that I am continuously infecting my beer with each coming pour and sip.
Poor beer...

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
northernlad
Recipes 

Aug 2009
NW
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

The only way to deal with these fears is glue some egg crating to your walls and paint it a soothing baby blue.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
jamesnsw

Recipes 

Mar 2009
, Indiana
Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Don't worry, the alcohol in the beer will kill all infections in your stomach. That's why rum is my peptobismal.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3201 Times on 1889 Posts

Here's the solution.

(I know you're only kidding, but is it REALLY a good idea during "freaked out noob month" to start threads like this? You know they all flocked with worried breath to this thread, to make sure the picture or description of your infection matches what they think they have in their fermenter.)

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Tin foil hats don't work. They actually intensify signals...and they don't breath so they get really hot. I once coated a hat in tin foil (looked awesome) and went to the bar with it on (that was fun). Kept having to take it off because it felt like my brain was cooking.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
jamesnsw

Recipes 

Mar 2009
, Indiana
Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
Tin foil hats don't work. They actually intensify signals...and they don't breath so they get really hot. I once coated a hat in tin foil (looked awesome) and went to the bar with it on (that was fun). Kept having to take it off because it felt like my brain was cooking.
Wait'll you try duct tape. I wore a duct tape suit in high school for some reason or other... man that was awful.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 01-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnsw View Post
Wait'll you try duct tape. I wore a duct tape suit in high school for some reason or other... man that was awful.
Good point.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Gremlyn

Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

Very few things can survive in your stomach, so no worries there You just have to drink the beer faster so it can get disinfected in your tummy by the acid!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
northernlad
Recipes 

Aug 2009
NW
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Wait, what if it he gets a UTI?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Here's the solution.

(I know you're only kidding, but is it REALLY a good idea during "freaked out noob month" to start threads like this? You know they all flocked with worried breath to this thread, to make sure the picture or description of your infection matches what they think they have in their fermenter.)
I feel for that cat...on so many levels!!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)