Moldy Cider...can it be salvaged? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Moldy Cider...can it be salvaged?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 02:29 AM   #1
mcliffor
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Posts: 7


A week ago I friend and I made a sweet cider out of some apple varieties she had in her orchard. I had read that the best cider is made from wild yeast, and not having any campden tablets, I decided to just go ahead and let nature do its stuff. Since the cider wasn't sterilized at all, I've been opening the fermenter from time to time to check on its progress. Well, a week has passed, and the cider has a dusty film of mold growing all over the top with bubbles trapped underneath. I scraped the mold off, and sampled the product along the way. It tastes fine. The yeast is working pretty heavily. Can the cider be saved? We put so much work into pressing this stuff, I'd hate to just throw it away. Will the alcohol kill off any mold that tries to start up again?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts


Sounds like a wild yeast problem to me.

Give it more time to see if the mold comes back.

You can always rack from the middle and stay under the stuff, but sometimes they grow tenacles like squid do and it'll be a complete loss.
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Vels
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Copenhagen
Posts: 87
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


DONT drink or use it if it is mouldy. Mold shows in all different colors, and has a destinct dry smell a little like mold cheese smell without the cheese. Also mold usually looks hairy.

Many mold varities produces poisons.

They can make you pretty sick and even trigger multiple allergies you will have to battle for the rest of your life - even though you were not allergic before.

Dont fool around with moldy food/drink !

Dont go by the thought that you can scrape mold away. It will usually grow deep in to the stuff even not visible.

Toss that batch, and better luck next time would be my advise.

Cheers
Jakob

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Mikey
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
I'm gone!
Posts: 666
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


The book you read that stated wild yeast was the 'best' didn't mention that there's no guarantee that your apples would have the 'correct' wild yeast present. Most don't.

It's the juice is actually fermenting and tastes OK, I wouldn't worry about it, just let nature do it's thing. You might get lucky.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
mcliffor
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Posts: 7

Less than 12 hours after I skimmed all the mold off the top, it was back in full. It might have tasted good in the end, but there was a too much mold for comfort, so I chucked it. I have another batch of store bought cider from a farm near my house that is fermenting with no mold problem. My plan is to save the yeast from that and culture it so I can use Campden tablets.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Mikey
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
I'm gone!
Posts: 666
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Why do you want to use Campden tablets?

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moldy Top? Georgian Novice Extract Brewing 26 06-15-2010 03:01 PM
wiring new plug/cord on salvaged washer motor? hexmonkey DIY Projects 8 11-11-2008 01:06 AM
Can it be salvaged? inkslinger82 General Techniques 4 08-17-2008 08:05 PM
Moldy LME SOB Extract Brewing 8 07-12-2007 01:46 AM
Ye Old Moldy Ale Ruy Lopez All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 06-23-2005 08:22 PM


Forum Jump