National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > sugar v/s dextrose

Old 01-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
felixsail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sugar v/s dextrose

I am preparing to start another 5 gal batch of my concord grape jelly wine, since everyone who tries it loves it and it is easy to make. I have had mixed sucess with other recipes. My question is can I replace the sugar with dextrose, and if so , in what ratio? I have found a cheap local supplier onf dextrose and it desolves much better than sugar. Are there any other advantages or disadvantages? Thanks in advance, Felix

Old 01-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5635 Times on 4041 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

There's no disadvantage that I can think of. I'd use whichever is cheaper. In my case, that's table sugar (sucrose) but I wouldn't think twice about using dextrose for wine.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
outdoorsmadness
Recipes 

how much sugar and jelly do you put in your must? i made a strawberry from jam and got sg to 1.090 in a 5 gallon batch without no sugar, just by adding 14 pounds of jam.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
felixsail
Recipes 

Default grape jelly content

I use 15lbs of walmart grape jelly and 5 lbs of sugar as per a posted recipe and have a drinkable wine in about 7 weeks that has ends up being 22-24 proof. I have made 3 batchs by this recipe and while being a little sweet, it is very drinkable and I have people asking to buy all I will sell as one bottle is never enough.My other wines have not had such great sucess, and I have found that it can be made in one carboy since I have no real pulp( no real need to re-rack) My final cost is about $.80 per 750 ltr. bottle plus the bottle. Great wine to make for a beginner after you realize how much those "kits" really cost! Good luck, Felix