Rehab - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Rehab

Old 01-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Cellarbrau
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Richmond
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I had an vision of sorts. One day I'd be drinking the best beer I'd ever tasted and I would realize that I made it myself. Better yet, I'd be able to make it again at little cost. Such a simple idea.

I had a moment of clarity some time ago. It occurred while I was brewing a triple decoction mashed wheat beer with peach and ginger roiboos. I struggled for hours. My mash stuck repeatedly. I was frustrated. I'd never had a wheat beer with peach and ginger roiboos. I'd never even had roiboos. Would I even like drinking it? I had forgotten why I started this hobby.

I went cold turkey for 3 months.

I just want to brew good beer and have fun. My goal is not to crack 1.2xx OG or 100 IBUs.

P.S. Last weekend I brewed a Pale Ale. 2-row, Munich, Cascade and Willamette. It was fun.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Hearts's Delight, Newfoundland
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellarbrau View Post
I just want to brew good beer and have fun. My goal is not to crack 1.2xx OG or 100 IBUs.

P.S. Last weekend I brewed a Pale Ale. 2-row, Munich, Cascade and Willamette. It was fun.

It's all I do. I have no desire to brew something I don't like and a brew less than 50 IBU's suit me fine. I like a bit of flavour and I don't have to be above 50 IBU's to get it.
Homebrewing is about what YOU want. Everyones tastes are different.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
moosetav
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hello. My name is Moosetav, and I'm a brewaholic. I was just thinking last night while planning my trip today to the LHBS how much fun I have with this hobby. I was also thinking that there are so many levels of involvement, design, etc., that anyone who loves beer can get involved in this hobby one any level and have a great time. From Mr. Beer kits to DFH, it's all up to the individual brewer. Welcome back to the fold, brother.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
HomelessWook
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

grapefruit fred tonight @ canal club, brah

Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
JMG680
Recipes 

Feb 2009
San Antonio, TX

I think being deployed for 6 months a year helps me love brewing that much more. I read up on things here, have brew books sent to me, and plan out what I will be brewing when I get back. The time away help, I agree.

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew