Ales are too light for my taste - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ales are too light for my taste

Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
JGailor
Recipes 

Jan 2010
San Francisco

My first two batches of homebrew (both partial-mash) were a west-coast amber and a raspberry brown ale. They tasted decent, and most people liked them, but for me they were too "light", by which I mean they didn't have real body or a weight in the mouth. If I wanted to adjust that to give it some more oomph, what components of the recipe would I alter to help that along.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
klyph
Recipes 

Dec 2009
North Pole, Alaska
Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts

More grains/extract. You want a higher OG. Carbonation plays a big role in mouthfeel, along with proteins. If you were all grain, I'd suggest a protein rest.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
ruffdeezy
Recipes 

Feb 2009
New West, BC
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Add more extract/speciality grains. Malto-dextrin also adds body. You may want to up the hops too then if you are adding to the body of an existing recipe.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
chucke
Recipes 

Mar 2009
East Central Alabama
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Mash a few degrees higher to produce more unfermentable sugars, which makes a thicker beer.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
More grains/extract. You want a higher OG. Carbonation plays a big role in mouthfeel, along with proteins. If you were all grain, I'd suggest a protein rest.
Protein rests break down proteins giving you less mouthfeel. In fact, with most malts today, a protein rest is not recommended because it can destroy proteins responsible for good head formation and mouthfeel.

Give us a little more detail on your recipe and process, it's kinda hard to recommend something when we don't know what you did.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 01-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

What temp are you mashing at ? And is the thermo calibrated if you are mashing on the low side the beer will have less mouthfeel and body. There are malts that can add mouth feel like Melanoidin dextrine and others

Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
maida7
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts

without getting specific you should add more of everything.

more specialty grains like crystal to add sweatness and malt flavor
more extract to produce more alcohol

just make it biger and bolder.

post a recipe and you'll get more specifics

Old 01-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Liked 530 Times on 357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
What temp are you mashing at ? And is the thermo calibrated if you are mashing on the low side the beer will have less mouthfeel and body.
+1 to this....my first AG batches were a bit thin and I found that my thermometer was off and I was mashing too low of a temp.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Jul 2008
NYS
Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts

This is partial mash, so the mashing/protein rest advice might be of less importance. (Depends on extract vs. grains split.)

Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
East Dundee, Illinois
Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts

couple pounds of malto-dextrin and add 2 lb of oatmeal to your mash.... probably would work best in a stout That'll give you a crap-ton of mouthfeel. Also don't use any recipe that has sugar in it (Unless it is a high alcohol belgian beer)

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash