Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Guinness type beer

Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
dae06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Guinness type beer

What kind of beer (kit) do I need to look for if I want to make a Guiness type beer. I would actually like one with a little less bitterness than Guiness.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

dry stout. but unless you get your water chemistry right its not going to taste exactly the same as the real thing.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
dae06
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
dry stout. but unless you get your water chemistry right its not going to taste exactly the same as the real thing.
How do I know what the water chemistry should be? Are you talking mainly PH, or other factors. I will be chlorine and chloramine free.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

Here are the basics on dry stout (Guiness). I had a good homebrewed dry stout where the brewer added some lactic acid instead of adding a percentage of soured beer. I think it got a general consensus of around 35ish in my BJCP class. Think it might have been a Midwest kit.

I wouldn't worry too much about water at the moment. If you are pretty new to brewing, it can get very confusing, very fast. I'd see how it comes out, and if you aren't satisfied, tweak the water.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

According to beer smith Dublin has:
Ca 115 ppm
Mg 4.0 ppm
Na 12 ppm
SO4 55 ppm
Cl 19 ppm
HCO3 200 ppm

Although I also read I think in the "Stout" book from brewers association that they now get their water from some nearby mountain?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Guiness isn't just a dry stout. Its also slightly soured.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

the water chemistry for Dublin (i think thats where Guiness is brewed) is fairly well known you can probably find it on the net somewhere. personally i've never been so dedicated to actually try to mimic a brew's water profile so i don't know.

i'm talking mainly of PH but there are other factors that are just part of the water that will affect the taste. but seeing is your a beginner (or at least posting in that forum) i wouldn't bother with adjusting the water profile just brew the beer and be happy.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ph , chemicals and minerals in your water are what you need to figure out. I would suggest starting with bottled water for your first batch of Guinness clone and see how you like it. If its not close enough for your taste then you can get into the chemistry of adding stuff to your water.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

This is a clone recipe from another site....It has the notes for extract at the bottom

Quote:
With a case of Guinness, in my neck of the woods, costing around 35 bucks, it doesn't take a genius to fiqure out that it is cheaper to make your own. The original recipe is for an all-grain brewer, but I have listed the substitutions for the extract brewer.
Ingredients:

7 pounds, Crushed pale malt
2 pounds, Flaked barley

1 pound, crushed roast barley
1 ounce, bullion hops

3 ounces, northern brewer hops
1 tsp. CaCO3 (if you are in a soft water area)

yeast starter made from a bottle of Guinness or a liquid yeast
OG: 1045-1053

Extract brewers: Substitute 2 cans of a light extract for the 7 pounds of pale malt. Also, if you don't want to make a yeast starter use Whitelabs Irish Ale yeast or Wyeast Irish Ale yeast.
I generally boil at 60 minutes, 30 minutes and 15 minutes and add my hops in at those intervals. At the 15 minute mark, I also use Irish moss to help settle the solids.
This is an interesting one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsbeerpage.com

http://ericsbeerpage.com/Beer/Recipe/guin.html

Ingredients:
9 lbs Brit pale ale
1 lb flaked barley
18 oz roast barley
12 oz carapils
1.5 oz No. Brewer hops (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hops (60 min)

First, get the "tang" the way Guinness does: Sour about 24 oz (2 bottles) of stout (pref. Guinness) by leaving it out in a bowl a week or more & then freezing it.
While brewing, thaw the sour stout & heat it to 180-190 F for 20 min.
Mash-in at 155F, hold for 1 hour, boil 1 hour & 15 minutes.
At end boil, add the sour stout.
At 70F, pitch 2 packs of Wyeast #1084.
A month or so of cold lagering (<40F) after bottling or kegging will help.
A certified beer judge could not tell this from bottled Guinness.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
dae06
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Here are the basics on dry stout (Guiness). I had a good homebrewed dry stout where the brewer added some lactic acid instead of adding a percentage of soured beer. I think it got a general consensus of around 35ish in my BJCP class. Think it might have been a Midwest kit.

I wouldn't worry too much about water at the moment. If you are pretty new to brewing, it can get very confusing, very fast. I'd see how it comes out, and if you aren't satisfied, tweak the water.

Hmm, I think I'll try a sweet Stout next time. Thanks