making spent grain bread - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > making spent grain bread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
chemman14
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,649
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts



does anyone here make bread out of their spent grains? I would love to start doing this when I start doing all grain. I found this recipe online that seems like a good one to me. What are your thoughts?
http://www.ptialaska.net/~gbrady/pages/spentgrain.html


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
phatuna
 
phatuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
San Diego
Posts: 794
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I've never made bread out of spent either, but I'm going to try this one out this weekend, looks good to me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
chemman14
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,649
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post
I've never made bread out of spent either, but I'm going to try this one out this weekend, looks good to me.
cool, let me know how it turns out

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 8,175
Liked 481 Times on 389 Posts


Yes, lots of people on here make bread, dog biscuits, and other stuff using spent grain. You might check out the cooking section of this forum.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
hamiltont
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Posts: 873
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Just treat it like an All-Grain bread recipe. I use one from the bread maker recipe book and sub a cup of spent grains for the all grain in a 1 1/2 lb loaf. MIGHTY TASTY!!!!!
__________________
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
FxdGrMind
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
PNW
Posts: 562
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Ok... how do you sift out the "Husks"???

My grain bill has "TONS" of husks in it .... not sure that would make anything "Tasty"...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
RichBenn
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Tahoe
Posts: 813
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
Just treat it like an All-Grain bread recipe. I use one from the bread maker recipe book and sub a cup of spent grains for the all grain in a 1 1/2 lb loaf. MIGHTY TASTY!!!!!
+1

I thought about posting my wife's recipe, but that's pretty much how she does it. About a cup of grain subbed into a great all-grain recipe.

One thing to note, you can get different results depending upon how efficient your mash is and how much residual water is left in the mash. Just try a recipe once, then add a little bit more water or sweetener if it's too dry or not sweet enough. When I got 65% it came out perfect. When I got 80% it was a little off until we adjusted.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Denver, CO
Posts: 1,082
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Assuming you could make this with spent steeping grains? Regardless I'll give it a shot next time. Sounds good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
TokyoRoad
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Tokyo
Posts: 120
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


I make bread more often than i brew, as I get plenty of grains left over from each batch. I make up ~2-3 cup packets of grains and throw them in the freezer for when the bread urge arises.

WRT grains - Just as the darker grains darken the beer and impart stronger flavors the same happens with bread. A strictly steeping grain bread might come out very strongly flavored depending on the grains used. I tend to make the lighter grains into bread more often, most recently a 100% MO bread.

The husks are what they are, i make no effort to separate them out when baking and have not had any problems.

The above recipe calls for a 1 day prep time, IMO that is unnecessary.

1 pouch of yeast in 1 1/4 cups of water with ~1/3 cup of brown sugar. Let that sit for ~15 minutes if you wish for the yeast to get busy. Sometimes I do, others I don't and rarely notice much difference.

Turn oven to 500*

In a sturdy mixer:
2-3 cups of grains (depending on how grainy you want the bread)
~1 tbsp oil
pinch or two of salt
mix this up briefly then add the yeast/water/sugar mix.

begin adding bread flour cup by cup, it varies depending on humidity that day. Eventually it will cease to be as sticky. At this point flour the counter and dump the dough and kneed some additional flour in to reach 4-5 cups total.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and leave in a warm spot to rise 1 hour. punch dough down and let rise another hour. Cut into desired number of loaves or shapes and place on either a baking stone or a cookie sheet that has been liberally dusted with corn meal.

Once the oven has been pre-heated sufficiently (get an accurate thermometer!) put the bread in the 500* oven quickly to prevent heat drop. The lower the temp to 425 and bake ~50-60 minutes. A probe thermo can be used to check if it is done, should read ~210-215* internal.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
chemman14
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,649
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoRoad View Post
I make bread more often than i brew, as I get plenty of grains left over from each batch. I make up ~2-3 cup packets of grains and throw them in the freezer for when the bread urge arises.

WRT grains - Just as the darker grains darken the beer and impart stronger flavors the same happens with bread. A strictly steeping grain bread might come out very strongly flavored depending on the grains used. I tend to make the lighter grains into bread more often, most recently a 100% MO bread.

The husks are what they are, i make no effort to separate them out when baking and have not had any problems.

The above recipe calls for a 1 day prep time, IMO that is unnecessary.

1 pouch of yeast in 1 1/4 cups of water with ~1/3 cup of brown sugar. Let that sit for ~15 minutes if you wish for the yeast to get busy. Sometimes I do, others I don't and rarely notice much difference.

Turn oven to 500*

In a sturdy mixer:
2-3 cups of grains (depending on how grainy you want the bread)
~1 tbsp oil
pinch or two of salt
mix this up briefly then add the yeast/water/sugar mix.

begin adding bread flour cup by cup, it varies depending on humidity that day. Eventually it will cease to be as sticky. At this point flour the counter and dump the dough and kneed some additional flour in to reach 4-5 cups total.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and leave in a warm spot to rise 1 hour. punch dough down and let rise another hour. Cut into desired number of loaves or shapes and place on either a baking stone or a cookie sheet that has been liberally dusted with corn meal.

Once the oven has been pre-heated sufficiently (get an accurate thermometer!) put the bread in the 500* oven quickly to prevent heat drop. The lower the temp to 425 and bake ~50-60 minutes. A probe thermo can be used to check if it is done, should read ~210-215* internal.
do you use a stone in your oven? I have a thermopen so accurate temp readings are not a problem

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spent Grain Bread Machine Recipe aekdbbop Cooking & Pairing 55 06-19-2016 01:36 AM
Spent Grain - Bread flack Cooking & Pairing 180 04-23-2015 12:11 PM
Spent Grain Bread again Kaiser Cooking & Pairing 19 11-17-2008 02:07 PM
Spent yeast for bread making!!! tdavisii General Beer Discussion 8 05-11-2008 02:29 AM
Spent Grain Bread Melana Cooking & Pairing 4 03-04-2008 11:20 PM


Forum Jump