Pliny the Elder extract recipe critique? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pliny the Elder extract recipe critique?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
IHateMayonnaise
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Kansas
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Hiya,

Looking to brew an extract imperial IPA, and after some looking around it looks like Pliny the Elder is an excellent choice. I myself have never had this beer, but I know it's loaded with hops, and I love hops!!

5.5 Gal batch, 90 minute boil

Steeping grains:
84% 2-row
6.6% cara-pils
2% C40
7.4% dextrose

Extracts/Sugar:
6lbs Gold Liquid Malt
3lbs Gold Dry Malt
1lb Clear Candi Sugar

Hops:
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 90 min
2.75 oz. Warrior Pellet 90 min
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 90 min
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 45 min
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 30 min
2.25 oz. Centennial Whole 0 min
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 0 min

Dry hops:
Done in three stages, each separated by a week or so:
1.25 oz. Columbus
1.25 oz. Centennial
1.25 oz. Simcoe

Steps:
1) Make yeast starter ~24 hours before brew
2) Bring ~4 gallons of filtered water to 155 degrees
3) Drop in grains, steep between 150-158 for 45 mins
4) Bring to boil, start timer and add hops accordingly
5) 15 mins before end of boil add 1lb of Clear Candi sugar
6) Cool, add yeast
7) ~3 weeks in primary, or until FG is sufficiently low
8) ~3 weeks in secondary, each addition separated by a week
9) Add 5 oz. priming sugar, bottle
10) Wait (impatiently)

Comments/questions:

Most of this was taken from Dude's original post and the rest I found from scrounging around the forum. My main purpose in posting this thread is to see if I put this all together well (I'm still a newbie) and to see if anyone had any suggestions. Also:What amounts should I use for the grains? Any other comments?

I'll get the extracts and grains from my local HB store, the hops I will buy online.

Thanks!

IHateMayonnaise

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


The problem you will run into with doing this beer as a extract is that I don't think you will be able to hit the low FG that pliny hits. That is one advantage of all grain, this beer is mashed at 149 to almost maximize fermentable sugars created so that is can go from 1.072 to 1.010.

You can still create a great beer doing your recipe but I am not sure if it can be compared to pliny


If you take Dudes recipe and replace the 2-row with the comparible extract and then steep the rest, that will be your best shot.

Can you do a full boil? If so that will save you a lot in the hops department since usage is more utilized with a full boil.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
IHateMayonnaise
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Kansas
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
The problem you will run into with doing this beer as a extract is that I don't think you will be able to hit the low FG that pliny hits. That is one advantage of all grain, this beer is mashed at 149 to almost maximize fermentable sugars created so that is can go from 1.072 to 1.010.

You can still create a great beer doing your recipe but I am not sure if it can be compared to pliny


If you take Dudes recipe and replace the 2-row with the comparible extract and then steep the rest, that will be your best shot.

Can you do a full boil? If so that will save you a lot in the hops department since usage is more utilized with a full boil.
I realize the extract way has drawbacks, and I'm sure it won't be as good as it would be had I done it all grain (one day..), but I figure I'll give it a try anyway. I doubt I'll be able to get down to 1.010, that's why I expect 3 weeks in the primary. Do you think doing it for longer would help any? Even if I added more yeast?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
BioBeing
 
BioBeing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,520
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


More yeast/time isn't going to help if all the fermentable sugar has been used. If you really want to dry it out, replace some of the extract with more plain sugar.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
IHateMayonnaise
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Kansas
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeing View Post
More yeast/time isn't going to help if all the fermentable sugar has been used. If you really want to dry it out, replace some of the extract with more plain sugar.
Should I reduce the liquid or the dry? How much should I jack up the clear candi sugar?

Edit: My goal is to make a good IIPA, and this one looked good at first glance. Perhaps I should choose something else since I'm going extract? Would Saq's Hopinator be a good choice since I want to make a REALLY hopper beer? Link: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/hopinator-114292/


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
ruffdeezy
 
ruffdeezy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
New West, BC
Posts: 403
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I would just stick with the original plan and see how it turns out. You are trying to get a hoppy beer, which I'm sure you will get. If the final product isn't exactly what you wanted, brew something else. Since you have never had the actual beer, you can't go wrong making it with your method. Try the beer once the clone is ready to drink and compare.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
IHateMayonnaise
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Kansas
Posts: 89
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdeezy View Post
I would just stick with the original plan and see how it turns out. You are trying to get a hoppy beer, which I'm sure you will get. If the final product isn't exactly what you wanted, brew something else. Since you have never had the actual beer, you can't go wrong making it with your method. Try the beer once the clone is ready to drink and compare.
Okay thank you for the advice! But any changes I should make to my recipe (especially the amounts of the grains)?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Beezer94
 
Beezer94's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Harmony, PA
Posts: 644
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts


Lose the carapils from the steeping(really partial mash). There will be plenty of unfermentables from the extract for body.
__________________
RDWHAHB
Add more hops! Always add more hops

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
damdaman
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Portland, OR
Posts: 551
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts


You might try giving this a shot (it's an uber-hoppy extract IIPA)
http://www.ratebeer.com/Recipe.asp?RecipeID=83

I made this 3 weeks ago, bottling tomorrow. I've taken two samples to test the gravity and it's *awesome*. Like you I love a super-hoppy beer.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pliny the Elder recipe questions paradoc All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 184 02-02-2013 09:30 PM
Pliny the Elder Recipe Grinder12000 General Beer Discussion 37 05-06-2010 07:51 PM
Pliny the elder extract recipe? Tilldeath General Beer Discussion 13 12-17-2009 06:34 PM
Pliny the Elder middleofnowhere Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 25 09-24-2009 03:12 AM
I need a Pliny the Elder! hukdizzle Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 4 12-24-2008 10:43 PM


Forum Jump