Soldering Stainless steel - Page 57 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soldering Stainless steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #561
Fletch
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
So Cal
Posts: 125
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
Ya, I used up a handful of stainless nuts. As soon as one started binding a little, I chucked it and grabbed a new one.
There is no earthly reason to use stainless bolts or nut for this tool, and you discovered the best reason NOT to use them. SS nuts are much softer than carbon steel. Stick with carbon steel and use lube on the threads.

FWIW, I had ordered the other parts from McMaster, including the large SS coupling to use on the outside as a mandrel. I promptly lost it before the first use (fell out of my truck, it appears). I just took the reducing fitting to HD and picked up a 1" NPT black iron coupling. Works just fine, costs about $10 less.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #562
itsme6582
 
itsme6582's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Cleveland
Posts: 825
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
There is no earthly reason to use stainless bolts or nut for this tool, and you discovered the best reason NOT to use them. SS nuts are much softer than carbon steel. Stick with carbon steel and use lube on the threads.

FWIW, I had ordered the other parts from McMaster, including the large SS coupling to use on the outside as a mandrel. I promptly lost it before the first use (fell out of my truck, it appears). I just took the reducing fitting to HD and picked up a 1" NPT black iron coupling. Works just fine, costs about $10 less.
I almost completely agree with this 100%. The reducer should definitely be stainless. I think the large coupler should be stainless too but a non-stainless large coupler would probably be fine. The other parts definitely don't need to be stainless. In fact, they probably shouldn't be just as you said.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #563
GreenMonti
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Posts: 1,079
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
There is no earthly reason to use stainless bolts or nut for this tool, and you discovered the best reason NOT to use them. SS nuts are much softer than carbon steel. Stick with carbon steel and use lube on the threads.

FWIW, I had ordered the other parts from McMaster, including the large SS coupling to use on the outside as a mandrel. I promptly lost it before the first use (fell out of my truck, it appears). I just took the reducing fitting to HD and picked up a 1" NPT black iron coupling. Works just fine, costs about $10 less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme6582 View Post
I almost completely agree with this 100%. The reducer should definitely be stainless. I think the large coupler should be stainless too but a non-stainless large coupler would probably be fine. The other parts definitely don't need to be stainless. In fact, they probably shouldn't be just as you said.
If the large coupler is not SS then one should plan on polishing the area since a good deal of pressure is being applied and the iron will impart to some degree on the surface. That will lead to some rusting.

If the area is polished and the iron is removed then there shouldn't be an issue. Just be aware.

Prost

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #564
orangehero
 
orangehero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Northeast
Posts: 1,746
Liked 302 Times on 190 Posts


I used a 1" iron pipe fitting for the outside and a brass pipe fitting (1/2" FNTP to 3/4" FGH) I ground down for making the dimple. Worked fine, no rust after a quick cleaning.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #565
Boerderij_Kabouter
 
Boerderij_Kabouter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,750
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts


Finally got around to making some progress on my rig last night. Did my first couple fittings. The regular, dippled, pulled through coupler are crazy easy and pro looking even on my first try. The element nut was a different story... wow. That was tricky. It took me two tries to get it done and I had a blob of solder run away on me. I'll need to do some filing and buffing to get that off, but it is functional and decent looking. I found it much easier to do a regular solder with the element nut that try to use the wraps under the nut.

Thanks for the guidance everyone.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #566
slakwhere
 
slakwhere's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 764
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts


i have done a couple of couplings for a buddy at 1/2" using this method and it's fantastic! a hole saw on my drill press was much easier than a step bit, and i think i'll be going Greenlee punch for the ultimate in ease.

anyone know what size taper coupling i would need to solder in a 1" half coupling for an electric element? i've seen the nuts soldered right to the vessel but it seems a pulled through half coupling would be easier to solder and possibly a bit stronger...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #567
Flomaster
 
Flomaster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Orange, Ca
Posts: 2,149
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
i have done a couple of couplings for a buddy at 1/2" using this method and it's fantastic! a hole saw on my drill press was much easier than a step bit, and i think i'll be going Greenlee punch for the ultimate in ease.

anyone know what size taper coupling i would need to solder in a 1" half coupling for an electric element? i've seen the nuts soldered right to the vessel but it seems a pulled through half coupling would be easier to solder and possibly a bit stronger...
best thing is get the 1" coupling and measure the OD then you know what size hole you need to drill

-=Jason=-

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #568
milldoggy
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Pottstown, Pa
Posts: 2,430
Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts


Had one handy, measured around 1.5 inches on my tape, not caliper here
__________________
My E-Herms

My hop stopper

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #569
slakwhere
 
slakwhere's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 764
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
best thing is get the 1" coupling and measure the OD then you know what size hole you need to drill

-=Jason=-
damn you and your logic!

guess i'll place a bargain fittings order and then figure out what size hole saw and tapered conduit i need

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #570
adivito
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Naperville
Posts: 187
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


While its being discussed, quick question on coupler for the element. Has any had an issue or successfully used the coupling since one is nps and the other is npt?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stainless steel question baer19d Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 22 06-16-2011 05:05 AM
is there any way to tell if something is Stainless Steel Grinder12000 Equipment/Sanitation 25 05-12-2010 01:44 PM
Stainless Steel v. Aluminum DirtyJersey Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 03-23-2009 08:37 PM
Stainless Steel Disconnects shif7y Bottling/Kegging 0 05-26-2007 07:05 PM
hardened steel instead of stainless? photogscott Equipment/Sanitation 5 05-09-2007 07:03 AM


Forum Jump