Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soldering Stainless steel

Old 04-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #541
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
Yes, and it works just fine. I don't know about the long-term issues with dissimilar metals, but they solder together without any issues.

-Joe
I doubt Copper (or Brass for that matter) would be reactive enough to make much of a difference when soldered to Stainless Steel. Where's John Palmer when you need him??

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #542
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Where's John Palmer when you need him??
Why do you need him?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #543
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Why do you need him?
Because he is a Metallurgist, it would be nice to pose the question to him.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #544
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
I doubt Copper (or Brass for that matter) would be reactive enough to make much of a difference when soldered to Stainless Steel. Where's John Palmer when you need him??
Quote:
I was listening to a Brewstrong podcast yesterday and Palmer was discussing the reactions between dissimilar metals. If I remember correctly he suggested that it would not be a great idea to use an aluminum fitting on a stainless kettle but on an aluminum pot it's fine. Other than that he did not think copper or brass fittings would be a problem in stainless or aluminum kettles.

His reasoning behind this was that placing an aluminum fitting (high corrosion potential) within a stainless kettle (low potential) will corrode the fitting quickly. However, aluminum fittings in an aluminum kettle spreads the potential corrosion over a large area and is not a problem.

I'm sure I miss quoted him but this was the just of what he was saying.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #545
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Sorry not totally impressed, I learned thru a machine shop with a welding and fab department 35 years ago at NASA Ames Research. It must not be an exclusive "metallurgist" only knowledge thing provided one has the ability to look listen and learn.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #546
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Sorry not totally impressed, I learned thru a machine shop with a welding and fab department 35 years ago at NASA Ames Research. It must not be an exclusive "metallurgist" only knowledge thing provided one has the ability to look listen and learn.
Didn't say he was a Metallurgist to impress anyone, nor did I say that the knowledge was exclusive to that field. (That would be a silly assumption.) Not sure what you're getting at here, but it seems you're attempting to discount something I've said or maybe something Palmer has said?

Help me out here, I'm grasping at straws.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #547
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

No disrespect Danny my reply wasn't aimed at you or to be taken wrong.
After working with many "propeller heads" at the Berkeley and Livermore Rad Lab plus the Sandia test facility
i've learned how to work around these odd thinking.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #548
wyzazz
Recipes 

Understood, just was a little confused.

Your thoughts on the dissimilar metals being soldered together? Any issues with longevity?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #549
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Understood, just was a little confused.

Your thoughts on the dissimilar metals being soldered together? Any issues with longevity?
Examples, a 3/4 hp vertical mount well pump bronze impeller inlet stub, sandy soil wears this inlet stub OD to pump base ID over years of service dropping pumping efficiency.
Machined down the stub then soldered on a SS sleeve, machined to a tight clearance to pump base, going on 35 years no problems plus SS a gummy material vs bronze.
A commercial grade hot tank for boiling heads and blocks the high dollar bronze pump was worn down internally and not pumping as new. Machined out the body then soldered in a sleeve tightening up the internal impeller clearances tighter than factory new. It's pumping hot caustic chemicals daily 5 plus years under high heat conditions. The bronze finish is now black.
Granted this is in extreme conditions so is a $2K pump head.
Not to sound like a wise ass, with a Bridgeport mill and lathe on the property I can fab, repair or weld items considered junk. It ain't junk junk until I say it is.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #550
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Examples, a 3/4 hp vertical mount well pump bronze impeller inlet stub, sandy soil wears this inlet stub OD to pump base ID over years of service dropping pumping efficiency.
Machined down the stub then soldered on a SS sleeve, machined to a tight clearance to pump base, going on 35 years no problems plus SS a gummy material vs bronze.
A commercial grade hot tank for boiling heads and blocks the high dollar bronze pump was worn down internally and not pumping as new. Machined out the body then soldered in a sleeve tightening up the internal impeller clearances tighter than factory new. It's pumping hot caustic chemicals daily 5 plus years under high heat conditions. The bronze finish is now black.
Granted this is in extreme conditions so is a $2K pump head.
Not to sound like a wise ass, with a Bridgeport mill and lathe on the property I can fab, repair or weld items considered junk. It ain't junk junk until I say it is.
So does this all mean you don't see an issue arising or that you would avoid it.