Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Soldering Stainless steel

Old 02-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #501
rcm_rx7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm curious if anyone has success with soldering aluminum to ss. My application will be a bit different than what some others have posted. I'll be using an aluminum lock nut for my element soldered to the inside of my Keg. From what I understand this will act as an anode preventing deposits on the element and keg. I assumed it was needed as the anode has recently been an issue with our home water heater.

I'm curious if it's worth trying the aluminum or just ditch that idea and try the SS lock nut. Any input?

Fermentation Chamber Project
Wooden Brewstand Build

Old 02-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #502
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm_rx7 View Post
I'm curious if anyone has success with soldering aluminum to ss. My application will be a bit different than what some others have posted. I'll be using an aluminum lock nut for my element soldered to the inside of my Keg. From what I understand this will act as an anode preventing deposits on the element and keg. I assumed it was needed as the anode has recently been an issue with our home water heater.

I'm curious if it's worth trying the aluminum or just ditch that idea and try the SS lock nut. Any input?
With that locknut acting as an anode it will break down eventually, someone correct me if I'm wrong, then you'll spring a leak, have to un-solder the locknut & re-solder another on to the pot. If you're using the aluminum locknuts on an SS kettle I'd suggest using them in a weldless installation. If you're going to solder to your SS kettle, use SS or copper. Just my $.02

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #503
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 11

+1. Stainless is just more durable for this application and its better to solder similar metals because aluminum requires special flux.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #504
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Solder SS locknut on outside of kettle and add the Aluminum locknut on the inside (screwed on) if you feel you need it.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #505
rcm_rx7
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll probably stay weldless on the element for awhile then.
Fermentation Chamber Project
Wooden Brewstand Build

Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #506
Planeinsane
Recipes 

Ok, I have a stupid question or two..or maybe not so.... What type of clean-up do you need to perform after soldering? wont the flux leave a film and possibly an aftertaste?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #507
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeinsane View Post
Ok, I have a stupid question or two..or maybe not so.... What type of clean-up do you need to perform after soldering? wont the flux leave a film and possibly an aftertaste?
Scrub with BKF and rinse with hot water. That should take care of it.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #508
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

I've gone through the entire thread at this point.. Are most of you using propane torches for this? Anyone using a soldering iron with success? I have both at my disposal, but probably easier to control where the heat is going if I use the iron.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #509
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
I've gone through the entire thread at this point.. Are most of you using propane torches for this? Anyone using a soldering iron with success? I have both at my disposal, but probably easier to control where the heat is going if I use the iron.
I think code rage or somebody uses an iron and prefers it.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #510
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale
Soldering iron would take way to long to evenly heat the keg and coupling.

Use the torch and circle around the coupling it's thickest and takes longer to heat up. once the couplings is hot enough the solder will melt. Remove heat and let cool then wipe clean.

Get the harris liquid flux or the stuff airgas sells made by radnor. Don't pass go don't collect $200 trying other flux. This stuff just plain works.

-= Jason =-