Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #1191
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Allen TX
Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts

Little blurry but gives you an idea. One wrap of stay-brite solder.

http://youtu.be/F0ojjNj74Vc

Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 AM   #1192
CalypsoCowboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Nampa, ID

Thanks for the video that was helpful.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #1193
SpartyParty
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Cresco, IA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When soldering a 2" SHORT ferrule into the kettle to receive the heating element is there enough room between the kettle wall and the ferrule for the clamp? Or would a MEDIUM ferrule be a better option? I was hoping to have as much of the element in the kettle as possible.

Thanks
Steve

Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #1194
AllanMar
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Canada
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyParty View Post
When soldering a 2" SHORT ferrule into the kettle to receive the heating element is there enough room between the kettle wall and the ferrule for the clamp? Or would a MEDIUM ferrule be a better option? I was hoping to have as much of the element in the kettle as possible.

Thanks
Steve
Are you using keggles? It would depend on the curvature of your kettle. the 1/2" ferrules DO NOT provide enough clearance to turn the tri-clamp nut when against a flat surface, although if its up against a curved surface and the clamp is positioned the right way it is possible (but tight) with a keggle. I went with "medium" (7/8" i think?) on the keg, and short (1/2") on my element adapter. Keep in mind you'll loose a little space to your dimple if your soldering as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #1195
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Normal, IL
Liked 53 Times on 33 Posts

So, I was applying my flux with a small paint brush and didn't realize until I was done soldering that the paint brush my fiancee handed to me must of still have paint residue on it because the cup that I had the flux in had changed color. Am I screwed?
YouTube: BeerGeekGamer
Twitch: BeerGeekGamer
Instagram: BeerGeekGamer
Twitter: BeerGeekGamer

Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #1196
alien
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 68 Times on 59 Posts

If it was red lead undercoat I might be concerned. Otherwise I would just clean it up the best I could.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #1197
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Normal, IL
Liked 53 Times on 33 Posts

I finished silver soldering my welding spuds, and when I looked at the inside of the keg, I could see that there was a build up of the silver solder in the shape of a ball from it wicking/dripping while soldering. The ball of solder is attached to the welding spud and the side of the keg wall. Do I need to grind this down at all, or would it mainly just be for cosmetic purposes?
YouTube: BeerGeekGamer
Twitch: BeerGeekGamer
Instagram: BeerGeekGamer
Twitter: BeerGeekGamer

Old 03-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #1198
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Just south of Cow Town, Tx
Liked 146 Times on 90 Posts

If it is not obstructing the threads or passage of anything through the threaded I.D. of the spud, I would not worry about it.
If you were building a fermentor... that would be a different story. I say you are safe just to leave it there.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #1199
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Liked 1466 Times on 1116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
I finished silver soldering my welding spuds, and when I looked at the inside of the keg, I could see that there was a build up of the silver solder in the shape of a ball from it wicking/dripping while soldering. The ball of solder is attached to the welding spud and the side of the keg wall. Do I need to grind this down at all, or would it mainly just be for cosmetic purposes?
For a boil kettle it is really not needed as it will be sanitized during the boil and cleaning is not as critical. For a fermenter, it is much more of a requirement to have neat clean work.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #1200
P-J
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Liked 302 Times on 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
One of the easy ways to fix it is to use your torch and gently heat the ball of solder directly until it just starts to soften. Then scrape away the bulk of it and add a little more heat to smooth it out. Either way it should not be an issue. The solder is an alloy of Silver and Tin.