American IPA Stone Ruination Clone - Page 47 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #461
4traindays
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
thornton, colorado
Posts: 47


Thanks for the replies. Is there anyway that I could end up with a gravity of 1.060 if I indeed used 8 lbs Dme and 1 lb crystal 40 which I steeped for 35-40 mins? Maybe I just didn't mix my wort well enough before I measured like previously stated. I couldn't believe my hydrometers reading when it stayed at 1.060!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #462
BadDeacon
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 751
Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts


Just got my stuff to make the BYO version. I got a question though. The AG version calls for a 90 min boil. The extract for a 60. Why??? ESP considering the hops.

Thanks!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #463
thejuanald
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 179
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


So I had a question about the original recipe posted. For extract, is the late DME addition for a partial boil only? I did a full boil (6 gallons of water), steeped the crystal malt for 30 minutes and added all 8lbs of DME at boil. After racking to the secondary, it tasted a lot sweeter than I was expecting. Is this because I added all the DME at once or will it even out over time? Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #464
BadDeacon
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 751
Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts


As a newbie I'll try to answer, I think the reason for the late edition is to help keep the color lighter. Extract brews tend to be darker the AG.

The sweetness will go away as the yeasties chew on the sugars.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #465
orangemen5
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 375
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuanald
So I had a question about the original recipe posted. For extract, is the late DME addition for a partial boil only? I did a full boil (6 gallons of water), steeped the crystal malt for 30 minutes and added all 8lbs of DME at boil. After racking to the secondary, it tasted a lot sweeter than I was expecting. Is this because I added all the DME at once or will it even out over time? Thanks.
I did the same thing as you when I made this. Ifull boil all extract added in the beginning. I was disappointed with the bitterness level. It wasn't very bitter at all. Ive heard you will get better hop utilization with splitting the extract.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #466
VampireSix
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


A full boil with all the extract added at the beginning should still result in over 100 IBUs. Orangemen5, what was your FG, and what yeast did you use?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #467
orangemen5
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 375
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireSix
A full boil with all the extract added at the beginning should still result in over 100 IBUs. Orangemen5, what was your FG, and what yeast did you use?
I wasn't aware of this. My OG 1.074 FG 1.018. 1 pack of rehydrated us-05. I'm in the process of getting my water analyzed to eliminated that aspect. It's still a very good beer just not bitter As i would like. But I've never had a beer that was to bitter for my liking.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #468
stricklandia
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 37

Based on the 16+ pages of this thread that I read, this seems like a great recipe, and I plan to try it this weekend.

Question: the BYO Stone recipe lists the dry-hop addition as 22 oz. of whole hops, but the recipe on this thread lists 2 oz. Is the BYO Stone amount a typo? That's like 10 times the amount of hops difference between the two....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #469
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
Based on the 16+ pages of this thread that I read, this seems like a great recipe, and I plan to try it this weekend.

Question: the BYO Stone recipe lists the dry-hop addition as 22 oz. of whole hops, but the recipe on this thread lists 2 oz. Is the BYO Stone amount a typo? That's like 10 times the amount of hops difference between the two....
Has to be a typo. Even if it weren't, I'm not wasting tens of dollars on an overkill dryhop
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #470
moscoeb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Richmond, KY
Posts: 430
Liked 62 Times on 45 Posts


Tried again tonight after almost 4weeks aging. Really good! Although, I'm not quite sure if its as hoppy as ruination, but I think it's awesome beer regardless!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stone Ruination clone clemson51 General Beer Discussion 2 04-13-2013 06:03 PM
Stone Ruination Clone? BrianTheBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 36 02-08-2013 08:10 PM
Stone Ruination IPA clone Youretheguy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 06-21-2012 03:40 AM
Stone Ruination IPA clone FG? paulnb9 General Beer Discussion 1 08-11-2011 03:05 AM
First AG - Stone Ruination IPA Clone seigex All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 25 08-16-2009 11:15 AM


Forum Jump