American IPA Stone Ruination Clone - Page 38 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #371
jperry
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
SD, CA
Posts: 718
Liked 148 Times on 111 Posts


Hey there, has anyone tried to clone the tenth anniversary ruination? I have been searching all over and found that its basically just double the amount of hops and a higher abv. (10.8%)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #372
squeekybobo
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Posts: 240
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jperry
Hey there, has anyone tried to clone the tenth anniversary ruination? I have been searching all over and found that its basically just double the amount of hops and a higher abv. (10.8%)
Well, you'd up the 2row a bit to push up the abv, ad add a few more ounces of centennial and a couple ounces of citra, plus more dry hop of cent/citra from what I understAnd. Me, I'm almost afraid of having 5 gallons of that on tap :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #373
jperry
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
SD, CA
Posts: 718
Liked 148 Times on 111 Posts


Yea I figured that was all it is, more 2-row and 2x the hops... Thanks for the response. 5 gallons is a little much, I would only do 2-3 gallons, since Im the only beer drinker in my house and I have to bottle. Plus the ingredients will cost a lot. I need to figure out how to get the most aroma out of the dry hops, before I go throwing a bunch in and wasting them (I read that yeast will take flush out most aroma, when you dry hop too soon. I also read in BYO, that warmer conditioning temp. brings out the hop aroma better). Ill need a big starter too, will I be able to build up a starter, with one vial, or do I need two?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #374
squeekybobo
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Posts: 240
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jperry
Yea I figured that was all it is, more 2-row and 2x the hops... Thanks for the response. 5 gallons is a little much, I would only do 2-3 gallons, since Im the only beer drinker in my house and I have to bottle. Plus the ingredients will cost a lot. I need to figure out how to get the most aroma out of the dry hops, before I go throwing a bunch in and wasting them (I read that yeast will take flush out most aroma, when you dry hop too soon. I also read in BYO, that warmer conditioning temp. brings out the hop aroma better). Ill need a big starter too, will I be able to build up a starter, with one vial, or do I need two?
You could pitch 2 or 3 packs of Us-05 for the price of liquid yeast. Otherwise, you could build up a starter with one vial. There are ways :-). Buy the hops in bulk instead of in 1oz increments. With the 2012 season, centennial pellets should be available soon, same with citra. Check out yakimavalleyhops.com for that. As far as dry hop timing, I dry hop about 7 days before I bottle/keg. So, if you plan on keeping the beer in the fermenter for 4 weeks, put them in a hop sack and throw them in for the final week.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #375
mcotter
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 50
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Brewed this per the OP's extract recipe. OG was 1.074, just took a hydrometer reading after 12 days in the primary and it's at 1.016. Didn't quite hit the numbers I was hoping for but I'm calling that close enough. Plan on dry hopping tomorrow.

Also, went ahead and made a yeast starter as suggested, thanks again for the tips.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #376
jwm1485
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
milwaukee, wisconsin
Posts: 104
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Does anyone know how much 2row and dme I should use if I wanted to convert this to a partial mash brew?
thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #377
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,371
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubHead View Post
Brewed this one and dry hopped. Hydro sample tastes great but not as sweet as the original. Might need to mash a bit higher temp next time and/or bump crystal malt.
I've always been very happy with using Crystal to color and the sweetness it brings to the party for pales and IPAs.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #378
Monkfish
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
New England
Posts: 88
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has seen/could post the new recipe that Mitch made public recently (I read that Columbus and Citra are now used.) If anyone has it could they please post it? I brewed Yoopers' recipe several months back and it was fantastic - I'd like to see how the new recipe compares.

Thanks!
MF

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #379
CastleBlack
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
DALE CITY, Virginia
Posts: 222
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkfish View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has seen/could post the new recipe that Mitch made public recently (I read that Columbus and Citra are now used.) If anyone has it could they please post it? I brewed Yoopers' recipe several months back and it was fantastic - I'd like to see how the new recipe compares.

Thanks!
MF
Apologies if it has been posted here and I missed it.

Any chance you could re-post it at some point?

Thanks and happy brewing to ya.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #380
StinkyVp
Dictator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Douglasville, GA
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'm wanting to make a Black IIPA. Would I add a pound of black malt or what? Is 1 LB too much? I've brewed this recipe three times. I add another pound of 2 row just to make sure I hit my numbers.
Does this sound interesting to anyone?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stone Ruination clone clemson51 General Beer Discussion 2 04-13-2013 06:03 PM
Stone Ruination Clone? BrianTheBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 36 02-08-2013 08:10 PM
Stone Ruination IPA clone Youretheguy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 06-21-2012 03:40 AM
Stone Ruination IPA clone FG? paulnb9 General Beer Discussion 1 08-11-2011 03:05 AM
First AG - Stone Ruination IPA Clone seigex All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 25 08-16-2009 11:15 AM


Forum Jump