Commercial Hop Harvesting Machinery - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Commercial Hop Harvesting Machinery

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
rockgineer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
maryland
Posts: 24


I am trying to do some research on hop harvesting machinery, particularly hop picking machines.

The only machine I have seen mention of is something called The Wolf but can't seem to find any information on this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to find out more information on some of the existing hop picking machines?



Thanks,
Brad

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
HopBlooded
 
HopBlooded's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Yakima, WA
Posts: 77

Most commercial scale hop harvesters in the Yakima Valley are of the Dauenhauer variety.

http://www.dmfg.com/hh/index.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
Hopfarmer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Paonia Co
Posts: 460
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts


I know of 2 wolf pickers for sale.have a bunch of pictures of the one I brought to the farm for testing. Will get them up shortly. Cheers Glen

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GVH_Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
McFarland (Madison), WI
Posts: 1,103
Liked 256 Times on 184 Posts


rockgineer:

How large is your farm? I suspect most commercial equipment is too large for your needs...OK, make that too expensive.

The Wolf machines are designed to do around 180 bine/hr, which is about right for a 20 to 50 acre grower. The Dauenhauer's are even bigger.

If you only have an acre or so, you can almost get away with handpicking. Of course it helps if you have a lot of friends and different varieties so it doesn't all come due on the same day.

At this point, there isn't any commercially available harvesting equipment for the small scale farmer. We are working on some as are others, but I know we won't be ready to sell anything for this next season.

To be honest, making something that will pick the cones off the bines isn't too hard. The harder part is separating the cones from all the leaves, stems and other debris that also gets picked.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Vinic
 
Vinic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Missouri
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I don't know if this will be helpful, but it sure looks interesting as an in-house harvester.
__________________
Necessity is a Mother

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
HopBlooded
 
HopBlooded's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Yakima, WA
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
rockgineer:

How large is your farm? I suspect most commercial equipment is too large for your needs...OK, make that too expensive.

The Wolf machines are designed to do around 180 bine/hr, which is about right for a 20 to 50 acre grower. The Dauenhauer's are even bigger.

If you only have an acre or so, you can almost get away with handpicking. Of course it helps if you have a lot of friends and different varieties so it doesn't all come due on the same day.

At this point, there isn't any commercially available harvesting equipment for the small scale farmer. We are working on some as are others, but I know we won't be ready to sell anything for this next season.

To be honest, making something that will pick the cones off the bines isn't too hard. The harder part is separating the cones from all the leaves, stems and other debris that also gets picked.

Dan is right. Dauenhauer machines are not for the small scale farmer. They require a large shed to house the picker, but can pick over 1,500 vines per hour. I mentioned it more as a point of interest.

Some of the pictures in this Flickr album show our Dauenhauer machine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GVH_Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
McFarland (Madison), WI
Posts: 1,103
Liked 256 Times on 184 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinic View Post
I don't know if this will be helpful, but it sure looks interesting as an in-house harvester.
Yep, that's the perfect example of a "homemade" picker. The whole idea is to strip the cones of of the bine. Not too hard. The problem is that you get all the leaves and stems, too. USDA requirements don't allow you to mix that in with the cones, plus it would cause your alpha acid % to drop.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
WIP
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Arlington, Texas
Posts: 793
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HopBlooded View Post
Dan is right. Dauenhauer machines are not for the small scale farmer. They require a large shed to house the picker, but can pick over 1,500 vines per hour. I mentioned it more as a point of interest.

Some of the pictures in this Flickr album show our Dauenhauer machine.
Thank you for the pictures. That was a cool steb by step. Where where they taken?
__________________
Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
HopBlooded
 
HopBlooded's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Yakima, WA
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIP View Post
Thank you for the pictures. That was a cool steb by step. Where where they taken?
No problem. They were taken on our farm east of Yakima in September.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Hopfarmer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Paonia Co
Posts: 460
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
rockgineer:

How large is your farm? I suspect most commercial equipment is too large for your needs...OK, make that too expensive.

The Wolf machines are designed to do around 180 bine/hr, which is about right for a 20 to 50 acre grower. The Dauenhauer's are even bigger.

If you only have an acre or so, you can almost get away with handpicking. Of course it helps if you have a lot of friends and different varieties so it doesn't all come due on the same day.

At this point, there isn't any commercially available harvesting equipment for the small scale farmer. We are working on some as are others, but I know we won't be ready to sell anything for this next season.

To be honest, making something that will pick the cones off the bines isn't too hard. The harder part is separating the cones from all the leaves, stems and other debris that also gets picked.
This is the picker I made.It worked great in 08 for the 1st year harvest but was inadequate for 09.All it really needs is a auto feeder, leaf seperator and dribble line.Even with these additions it would be tough to do much more than a acre maybe 2
Cheers Glen
Still

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harvesting Yeast from Commercial Brews IndyPABrewGuy Recipes/Ingredients 16 06-13-2010 12:33 PM
Harvesting yeast from commercial beer dmbnpj Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 10-10-2009 09:27 PM
Harvesting yeast from commercial brews? emr454 Recipes/Ingredients 10 06-18-2009 11:55 PM
Harvesting yest from difficult commercial beers apeltes Brew Science 8 05-15-2009 06:21 AM
Harvesting yeast from commercial beers? Q2XL Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 04-07-2009 04:46 PM


Forum Jump